Buzz in driveline?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buzz in driveline?

OK, I need help please. I'm having a buzz in my driveline. What could it be? It's not my giubo (spelling?) do you think it could be my trans bushings or motor mounts?

How can I detect this.

thanks,
    Buzz light year

Id bet on U-Joints and center support bearing. You can pull the driveline out and move the joints around. If they feel loose, gritty, or notchy they are a bad deal. The center bearing on mine was ripped in places and paper thin in others. Both jobs will usually require a shop since the U joints are non-replaceable by the home mechanic and the support bearing is pressed on.
    Id find a good place that will remove the old "non-rebuildable" joints and replace them with latter C-clip style. I paid about $325 for the job, but I now can rebuild my driveshaft at home for around $50. The only thing that needs to be done after the home rebuild is a quick balance from a local shop.
    This option is cheaper than BMP, Bavarian and definately BMW.
    Good luck
    Last edited by wookie1976; 06-18-2003, 06:28 PM.

Comment

i dont have a lot of knowledge in this area yet, but might be able to be of some help.

when my car is sitting out of gear, it makes a rattling noise coming from the driveline. i helped diagnose it by noticing that the noise goes almost completely away if i put in the clutch. A friend says its the throwout bearing for the clutch.

If it is like i described then that is probably what it is.

(btw, should I worry about this or just do it along with the flywheel whenever I need to replace the clutch?)

Comment

Thanks wookie, it appears to be the support bearing. :cool: :sosad:

Bijan, I think everyones throw-out bearing needs to be replaced at this point. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BijanH
          i dont have a lot of knowledge in this area yet, but might be able to be of some help.

when my car is sitting out of gear, it makes a rattling noise coming from the driveline. i helped diagnose it by noticing that the noise goes almost completely away if i put in the clutch. A friend says its the throwout bearing for the clutch.

If it is like i described then that is probably what it is.

(btw, should I worry about this or just do it along with the flywheel whenever I need to replace the clutch?)
          lol. mine does the same thing. im not going to worry about it until i need a new clutch, when that bearing should be replaced anyways.
          1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Working...
          X