S14 in a 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S14 in a 318is

As I'm gearing up to get into an E30, still looking into options. I have a lead on a pristine 318is, flawless interior and excellent exterior, thought is was a respray. Salvage title, but I'm not too concerned about that, this is a friends car and he knows car very well, he would be able to find frame damage.

TO the real question, if I could pick this car up for, say, $4K, what would I be looking at for price in a nice S14 engine/tranny, and whatever else I would need for the swap?

As everyone in their mother puts M50/52s in the 318/325s, I think an S14 would be cool, unique, kind of like the 320is's.

Thanks.

cool...but if i was going to do a swap in a non M car...i'd throw in the 50/52...depends what you want to do with it...

track toy? daily driver? street car?

3-4k for a s14 w/ tranny

i want to see someone put an s14 into an e36 :evil:

Comment

Toy, will only use on weekends/track. Hmmmm, 3-4K you say. What's this nonsense I read in another thread about $8-$12k for an engine rebuild. . .

Now I am really thinking about this. . .If anyone is familiar with how involved this type of swap is, please chime in. I like the idea I keeping the lightness of the 4 cylinder too. . .

Definitely have to keep this option open, but if an ///M jumps out of the bushes in front of me, I might have to buy it up.

Comment

"i want to see someone put an s14 into an e36"

It's been done and guess by who! Race teams!

Non-sense about $8-$12k rebuilds? You mean truth? Anything with M infront of it means twice the fun and twice the cost.. (just kidding ofcourse)

Stock rebuilds can be done for under $8k (I'm sure) $8-$12k+ are 'performance' engines.... 2.5L, cams, headwork (not combined)

How much money do you want to spend on this project?

Comment

Originally posted by Bavarian3

Non-sense about $8-$12k rebuilds? You mean truth? Anything with M infront of it means twice the fun and twice the cost.. (just kidding ofcourse)

Stock rebuilds can be done for under $8k (I'm sure) $8-$12k+ are 'performance' engines.... 2.5L, cams, headwork (not combined)

How much money do you want to spend on this project?
          Well I mentioned earlier in the near future I'll be looking for an E30M3 for around $15K. If I got this 318 for 4k and I mean this thing is mint mint mint inside and out, I'll have $11G's for engine,tranny, suspension, the works. . .I really think that would be a unique car.

Comment

11k can go very fast... do you plan on doing your own install or taking it to the local shop?

And will you have money left over to take care of the engine you bought with 100k miles on it *IF* something goes wrong?

If you are wanting to compare buying an E30 M3 for $15k or buy a $4k 318 and dump $11k into it... well here is what I think:

Resale value: That 15k M3 will probably fetch the same amount
            That 4k 318 with 11k dumped into will fetch nothing near the M3

Fun value: Both cars would be fun....
            Track value: Well the down side to the 318 is the small brakes/diff/and wheel/tire options when compared to the 318..

Is it worth the money to put 11k into a 4k car? Some may say no, while others say why not. This should be left up to you to decide... we (members of various E30 forums) like to say our imput to sway your choice....

Comment

I see no point in this at all. If you get the 318 for $4k and spend another $4k to do the swap you will be into a car for 8 grand. What you will have is a 318 with an S14 in it and be lucky to sell it for $5k. BTW for 8 grand you could get a decent M3 driver and have a real M car.

The above is assuming you can get a good S14. The idea of getting a S14 rebuilding it and then doing a swap into a 318 in my book is just stupid if your end plan is to have a real M3. If you look at the numbers $4000 for the 318, $11,000 to $12,000 to get and rebuild a S14, plus the cost of the swap you will be very up side down in the car. What do you want to spend? $8,000 to $15,000 for a 318 or $15,000 for a nice M3.

Regardless of what you do to a 318 it will always be a 318.

Comment

Save another ten grand and import a 320is.

That or find an S14 and a cheap 318is...

Comment

I thought about that when driving my GF 318iS. Handles quite good but is a bit gutless.
                  Once the rust god has called my shell to heaven I might think about it again.....

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I came close to doing the S14 swap into my 318is, but only because I was going to get a complete wrecked M3 for about 3K Canadian. Unfortunately the deal fell through on the wreck, which had a rebuilt S14 plus numerous other goodies. I still kick myself about that one.

Comment

Economically and performance-wise, such a beast doesn't really work. Now if you were just in love with the regular E30 chassis and bang-4-the-$ isn't your main concern, then its your call. You'd have to do the 5 lug/brake conversion too, just to get into the M3 ballpark. But you still wouldn't be there w/o wider tires allowed by the M3 fenders.

Having said that, if I had too much money & time, I'd love to do an E30 touring w/ S14. That'd be fun, but certainly not an all-out performance endeavor. I too love the standard E30 chassis and the touring is totally rare.

-Dietrich

Comment

i know tardo...but i want to see it done by someone other than race teams :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by vonbek68
                          I see no point in this at all. If you get the 318 for $4k and spend another $4k to do the swap you will be into a car for 8 grand. What you will have is a 318 with an S14 in it and be lucky to sell it for $5k. BTW for 8 grand you could get a decent M3 driver and have a real M car.

The above is assuming you can get a good S14. The idea of getting a S14 rebuilding it and then doing a swap into a 318 in my book is just stupid if your end plan is to have a real M3. If you look at the numbers $4000 for the 318, $11,000 to $12,000 to get and rebuild a S14, plus the cost of the swap you will be very up side down in the car. What do you want to spend? $8,000 to $15,000 for a 318 or $15,000 for a nice M3.

Regardless of what you do to a 318 it will always be a 318.
                          Amen
                          2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                          1995 Porsche 993
                          2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                          2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                          2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                          1985 BMW M635CSI
                          2001 BMW M3
                          1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

IMO, the S14 should stay with a motorsport chassis. Sure, these engines are awesome. Though these engines are very expensive to buy, build and maintain. It's kinda like putting a rare V-8 in a hot rod. Sure, the rod will have good power - it's a V-8 - but at the end of the day it's still a '41 Chrysler with a 392 Hemi. A good 'ol 350 would do the same trick for much less $$$ and the resale loss would not hurt as much.

Too many other things would have to be done to a standard E30 chassis to get the best out of such a swap. Yeah, it would be cool, but for the same or little more $$$ you could have the real thing. Do what you wish, but an m50/52 would be a more cost effective way of rodding your E30.
                            Christopher

www.brmmotorsports.com

Comment

Originally posted by WBSAK03

Too many other things would have to be done to a standard E30 chassis to get the best out of such a swap. Yeah, it would be cool, but for the same or little more $$$ you could have the real thing. Do what you wish, but an m50/52 would be a more cost effective way of rodding your E30. [/B]
                              But is still has two cylinders too many.....

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
                              X