Weight of Euro vs US M3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight of Euro vs US M3

I just checked the weights of US vs Euro M3. US M3 weight 2750lbs, as Euro cars tip the scale at 1200Kg (2560lbs). That makes for a difference of 200lbs. Anyone knows where the extra weight comes from?

Being the owner of an e30 Hartge H23, I can testify that my 2400lbs car handles much better than a US spec 2800lbs 325i.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

the difference is probably your source for those numbers.

They arent that different in weight at all.

I never trusted manufacturers or reported weights...they are always off.

Comment

It could be the source.... and also depending on which 'Euro' M3 you are speaking of.... remember some models had lighter glass and other coponents... but I'm not too sure if it was 200lbs worth..

Comment

Some didnt sun/moon roofs either, and cloth seats instead of leather.
        Gone but not forgotten 1988 E30 M3 - Current ride Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

I can't imagine any of them being too much lighter. I would think the lightest euro cars probably had:

no cats
          no sunroof
          no power windows
          no a/c
          cloth interior (may weigh slightly less than leather)

I'm really not sure what all the sunroof mechanicals weigh, but I'd think a base model M3 in europe like that with literally no add on options would be close to 100lbs lighter. The cats weigh a lot and so does the A/C

Comment

I'm taking my M to the dump to get it weighed on their scales.
            They might not be the most accurate but the local police dept uses their scales to check their own cars.

I'll let you know what I come to.

Comment

Was aircon standard fit on US spec cars ?
              This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

yes

Comment

Keep in mind that US M3's were all fully equipped, while Euro M3's could be had in bare bones form with optional equipment added if desired. However, I can't imagine trim items making that much of a difference.

I wonder if euro M3's have that heavy safety beam in the doors like US E30's do.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                  85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                  91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

We really need a list of the standard spec of the US spec M3. Such as , are the cat, electric windows , electric sunroof , airbag , aircon all standard fit ?
                    This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

yup, as well as leather, all fully equipped, maxed out..i think heated seats were the only option.

Comment

The Euro cars also had the option of the extended range fuel tank in the trunk.
                        Charley Terhune
                        89 Zinno M3- stock 90k miles
                        89 Zinno M3- 2.5 etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by peteb
                          yup, as well as leather, all fully equipped, maxed out..i think heated seats were the only option.
                          Heated seats and I believe in later years or just the 91's had an option for a glass moonroof.
                          Gone but not forgotten 1988 E30 M3 - Current ride Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

I wonder if euro M3's have that heavy safety beam in the doors like US E30's do. [/B]
                            No they don't, found this out only last week. My mate has a US car over here which he is totally restoring and I noticed the horizontal beams in the doors which none of my M3's has had.

Comment

Originally posted by ct_m3
                              The Euro cars also had the option of the extended range fuel tank in the trunk.
                              yup i was taking a look in the trunk the other day and i noticed that
                              e30 m3; euro S50B32 twin-turbo'd

Comment

Working...
                              X