Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reccomendations for supporting Shrick 284/276 camshafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reccomendations for supporting Shrick 284/276 camshafts?

Ive heard itd b a good idea to get those motorsport valve springs...i cant find them anywhere! Im planning on putting those shrick 284/276 degree camshafts in the 2.5liter and Id like to know what parts i need to complement these cams. thanks in advance! Hugh

you should have the motorsport valve springs if you plan on revving past 7500 on a racing kind of basis.

I have schrick 276/bmw 264 cams in my car. No motorsport valve springs, and I rev pretty high sometimes. No signs of problems, I know people on this board might disagree, but everyone is entitled to their opinions.

To maximize the power curves with those cams I think adjustable cam gears are the way to go, but many seem to use those cams without adj. gears and don't have any problems, they are just probably missing a few hp without having the adjustability factor in order to get those valves in spec right where schrick wants them to be.

Check out Motorsport Imports for the motorsport valve springs. I think they are about $400. Maximillians should be able to get them for you as well, but I would try motorsport imports first. It will take you a month to get them from maximillians. My experiences with them is that they have been very slow. Good luck

David

Comment

you should also consider the motorsport imports kit with the schrick cams and springs.

Comment

you should also know that these "motorsport springs"
        are just the evo3/gr. N springs which you can buy straight
        from BMW. they are stock sport evo springs. real motorsport
        springs have a different designation.

John

Comment

didn't all cars made after 1990 come with double springs?
          Is the evo springs any different?

Comment

Originally posted by Mpowernyc
            didn't all cars made after 1990 come with double springs?
            Is the evo springs any different?
            Someone correct me if I'm wrong but all M3 valve springs use dual valve springs. The Sport Evo springs are also dual springs with stiffer rates. They are marked with yellow/red paint.

I also run 284/276 cams with stock valve springs in my 88 M3 and have no problems. I did this to conserve cost and I really didn't feel the valve spring change was necessary after researching this for while. I may do them later when the head comes off just as a precaution.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

correct.

Comment

Timing those schricks

Depending on the modifications to the engine, you may want to change the schrick specs slightly to favor the sweet spot of the cams coming in a little lower. Don't change the event timing spread between the cams, but change when the events occur.

I have the schricks w/ stock cam gears and I have noticed that the car REALLY explodes when I hit 6,000. I am considering getting the adjustable gears and setting the cams to come in at 5,300-5,500 and starting to top out at 7,000 rather than pull crazy starting at 6K.

I have a stock 2.3 head and t-bodies. If you have a massaged head then you may want to go directly off the schrick spec as you will benefit from the high rev power band more than I do.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by John
                  you should also know that these "motorsport springs"
                  are just the evo3/gr. N springs which you can buy straight
                  from BMW. they are stock sport evo springs. real motorsport
                  springs have a different designation.

John
                  are turner's motorsport springs the same as the above ones?
                  -Dave

A purist with a slight hot-rodding streak.

Comment

bump

Does someone have an answer to the above question?
                    1988 M3
                    2012 335is
                    1993 Civic Si

Comment

Originally posted by WilberM3
                      are turner's motorsport springs the same as the above ones?
                      Yes - Based on the picture (with the yellow/red markings) and the p/n, that is E3/Grp N spring.

-Dietrich

Comment

Motorsport Imports is no longer around, but plenty of other sponsors or the dealer sell them. The E3 springs are (from what I understand) better than the Schrick springs and are around $400.
                        JS

Comment

Originally posted by Schneller
                          Motorsport Imports is no longer around, but plenty of other sponsors or the dealer sell them. The E3 springs are (from what I understand) better than the Schrick springs and are around $400.
                          Somewhere in the 90 model year, all cars got the so called motorsport/group N valve springs that was also in the sport evo. If you have a 1990 E30 M3, you gotta check the paint on the valve springs to confirm if they indeed are the group N springs.

I'd take the schrick springs over the Group N Springs... but the REAL motorsport springs would of course be the optimal choice, if your engine build required that level of performance. John, can you comment on schrick valve springs vs. Group N valve springs??

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
                          97 Porsche Carrera S
                          13 Audi S6
                          SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
                          GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

Would the sport evo springs be good enough with the 284/276 cams and reving to 8000rpm??

Comment

Question, The first owner lost the timing chain around 50K miles and had the head rebuilt, that included a full valve and spring replacment, that was done in 95 or so. Is it to my understanding that the dealer only sells the E3 springs? or can you still get the "stock" 87-89 springs? I never knew about the E3 springs when I did my engine rebuild so I never got the check the markings.

The Chuck giveth, and the Chuck taketh away

Comment

Working...
                              X