How much sway is safe for an engine?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard
    started a topic How much sway is safe for an engine?

How much sway is safe for an engine?

My engine will move about a total of an entire inch (back and forth) if you push on it. Is this a bad thing, or is it normal? Do I need new motor mounts? What does this mean for agressive driving?

• Magnus
    replied
    Some movement is normal, although I have never tried pushing on it.. We sparco strut brace guys know about it. The stud and nut on the back of the plenum smacks into the brace from time to time (remove the nut). The engine will move forward an 1" -1.5"...

Leave a comment:

• Richard
    replied
    I probably put about 40-55 lbs of pressure on the valve cover when I tried it. I'll have the mounts checked.

Leave a comment:

• ttw18
    replied
    engine sway

How much force do you apply when it moves back? When I first bought my car the engine would move a bit when I would blip the throttle. I found that the bracket that holds the motor mount to the car was broken off and my engine was being supported by 1 mount only. Now, I do not think my engine moves at all if I push by hand. I have 535i mounts that are stiffer than the stock pieces.

Leave a comment:

• Reelizmpro
    replied
    The S14 mounts are designed to be flexible to absorb most of the vibration of the buzzy engine and keep the subframe from cracking (although they still do), etc. So the engine movement isn't too uncommon. Have the mounts and subframe inspected though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X