replied
    Anders,

Picking parts is one thing, knowing that
    they mechanically work together,
    also in terms of things like: spring & cam
    profile matched, hardness of cams
    and tappets, weight of tappets,
    tolerances etc.

It also helps to know the proper cam timing.
    Lets say e.g. you picked some schrick
    308/292, do we know which cam timing to use? Or are we just going to dial them in
    to fit the pistons, and the power that results
    is whatever it is? and what does "308"
    mean anyway? is that the standard 308
    or is it a custom schrick grind? (both
    exist).

In your question, it sounded to me
    like your sort of believe there is not
    much difference in the engines.

When Adrian H built his, he first started
    buying various tuner parts. When it became
    clear what he ultimately wanted, I gave
    him my thoughts on those parts and the risks
    involved. He did not fiddle around long and
    second guess. He sold off that stuff and
    got the right parts that work together as a
    package. Note the word package.

Im sure Adrian may have had his doubts
    whether he should trust me.

Even when you have all the same (or nearly
    same parts), some motors end up stronger
    than others. Ive seen this on some that
    were built close to mine and we did back
    to back comparison.
    Thats one reason I hope Adrian will come
    to the Ring this year so we can check this
    out.

one thing that Adrian has in his motor
    that one of these big HP advertisement
    motors does not have, is sodium filled
    exhaust valves, 62g each. Adrian has
    a long list of stuff actually.

John

Leave a comment:

• topbananabm
    replied
    Please can you email me a copy of catalogue.
    [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• topbananabm
    replied
    Please can you email a copy as well please, to [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    Originally posted by John
    a lot. this is going to sound arrogant, but there is not a damn
    thing in comon with your typcial 285 claimed hp tms buildup.
    and said buildup would look very pale indeed when taken
    to task. Ive had better want to do a head to head comparison.
    this is one instance where adam should have responded
    SEARCH. because I am not a very secrative person, I help
    everyone to more power when I can
    I've probably read at least 30000 :p posts by you, John, but it still seems simplistic to me. Your typical comment is Motorsport 300 something cams, shim-under-bucket for safer high-revs, ports to 29.5 mm, your special spec pistons (Motorsport?), proper BMW header and exhaust. Is that it?

Since you are such an expert on the BMW Motorsports' engine program, it would be nice to have one condensed, specific post covering details from the intake through the exhaust. Maybe you could even through in some comments about where the US street-build falls short. I'm not saying that would be something you'd wanna do, but it'd be nice...

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    Originally posted by Anders
    So, what makes yours and Adrian's motors so different from these hopped up street motors, specifically. Perhaps it is something you don't want to share on the forum?
    a lot. this is going to sound arrogant, but there is not a damn
    thing in comon with your typcial 285 claimed hp tms buildup.
    and said buildup would look very pale indeed when taken
    to task. Ive had better want to do a head to head comparison.
    this is one instance where adam should have responded
    SEARCH. because I am not a very secrative person, I help
    everyone to more power when I can

BTW, one of the guys doing head to head with me is a friend,
    and he is just now building up the newest engine. we will
    see at easter (its all in good fun)

John

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    300 hp to the wheels? 250 hp to the wheels? did I misunderstand your post in any
    way?

John

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    I also maintain hopes of being able to pass smog, with a minimium of changes!

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    One thing that definitely helps the europeans is readily available higher octane fuel. Much better for higher compression than what I can get 91 octane! I think that my motor is built around safe perimeters, with great power & torque. But I know it's not putting down 300hp to the wheels, maybe a optimistic 250 though. All in all, it probably cost me 10,000. And that was starting with a built motor 2.3 ie, built top-end, so I just had to stroke it, Alpha-n, fuel injectors, fuel regulator, carbon airbox, etc.

Leave a comment:

• rallyguy
    replied
    THANKS for hosting the file. Very much appreciated.

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Anders
    replied
    So, what makes yours and Adrian's motors so different from these hopped up street motors, specifically. Perhaps it is something you don't want to share on the forum?

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    no Erik, his setup is not a pure track setup, which is the whole point of this exercise,
    although Adrian may use only for such (Im not sure, but he has mentioned track a few times).
    Im averaging around 250 ring laps per year lately...this is a strong motor.
    Ive read about a lot of "track" motors that are nothing but a hopped up street motor
    that cant last a season. lots of thrown rods and bearing problems.

John

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied

you are right I dont like to guestimate power figures. I know what the honest power figures
    are, and you are driving it so I dont have to tell you either. You should really try to come to
    the ring once so we can compare our setups (there is no competition intended, it is only
    meant good natured to see where we are at and how to continue), I have helped a few guys
    with almost duplicates (or close to) my setup and we meet at the ring for comparison purposes.
    Each time it is productive. Sometimes it takes a while to get the rest of the setup on par with the
    engine, because on the Ring the car is much faster and then you find you need quite a few other
    tweaks. Ive had a my share of e36 and e46 m3 guys nosying over to see what is up

John

Leave a comment:

• erik bernstein
    replied
    Adrian, what pieces did you use to get that kind of power? And is your car used only for the track?

Leave a comment:

• Adrian H
    replied
    Hi John,

I knew you wouldn't be far away to comment. I totally agree with you, that you cannot go and buy the Grp A parts for a street car, they must be used in conjunction with each other. You might want to use a part for coolness factor but you find that it will not work or fit without fitting parts A and B as well. That's when you find the prices are so prohibitive.

Yes John, I can justify my engine bits and their prices and can see the worthiness of them but bear in mind my engine cost nearly 11,000 just in parts prices. As you know my car rolling roaded at 319bhp but how accurate that is, no one knows but it gives you a rough guide of what the engine is putting out even if the rolling road was a bit optimistic. As you have said in the past, BHP figures are irrelevant, you have to get in the car and feel the driveability, power and torque and leave the figures for down the pub.

Leave a comment:

• John
    replied
    most street car guys with aspirations of obtaining race parts
    balk at the price when they first see them. figure 2 to 3 times the price of
    anything you see at your BMW dealership. not always, but most of the time.
    but these are generally not street parts, it is often questionable why you should
    ever consider such parts for your street car. certainly not for coolness factor.

I guess after a while you get used to prices though, they do have some pretty trick stuff and
    it is awesome. some things are not really worth it.

important to know which parts work together and which dont. youve got roughly 5 years
    of evolution parts to choose from.

Im not sure how Adrian H thinks of the prices on his engine bits, but I believe
    he does see the worthiness of the parts now? right Adrian? Now you should understand
    why some internet advertisement of 285 hp s14 are so funny; odd how many people
    are taken by that.

John

Leave a comment:

Working...
X