Exhaust leak causes overheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust leak causes overheating?

About a month ago I unbolted my exhaust in order to rebuild the shift linkage. Since then, the car reaches the 3/4 mark on the temp gauge after idling. I have checked the thermostat, temp switch, aux fan and have replaced the fan clutch. I am thinking that I didn't bolt the exhaust tight enough. Also, is there supposed to be a paper gasket between the header and the exhaust section? There seemed like there should be, but there wasn't. Anyways, will a small exhaust leak cause a overheat situation at idle?

Also, what exactly does an exhaust leak sound like? When giving it significant throttle in first and second from 1-4k rpm it sounds like there is a huge fan attached to the engine (rough wooshing noise). If it's not the exhaust, what could it be?

Thanks,
    Chris

I dont see how an exhaust leak could cause the much over heating unless the exhaust heat is somehow just building up in teh engine bay...

Maybe its an intake/vaccuum leak...check that...

I dont believe there is a gasket between header and cat either...

Try getting the coolant temps via another method when idling....

Did you check the cooant temp sensors? those often need to be replaced.

ADA///M

Comment

I am pretty sure it's not the temp sensor. What are the symptoms if it has failed? The car doesn't seem to be running rich or any differently for that matter. I am pretty sure the cooling system is working (ie; coolant makes a complete loop through the block, radiator, thermostat, and overfill tank).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

Id say the exhaust thing is a coincidence. It sounds like a primary cooling problem to me. Hows the radiator? If its old and clogged you could get this problem. The reason you might be having these problems now is because we are in the summer months and your cooling system has to work extra hard to keep things happy. Have you checked the antifreeze mixture? If you have a heavy antifreeze to water ratio it can hurt cooling. I reduce my antifreeze levels for the summer months. Products like Water Wetter also work well, but I would try to iron out the main problem first before adding that to the system.

Comment

I am pretty sure my radiator is still fine. The car cools well when I am moving. I might try to flush the coolant this weekend.

Chris

Comment

Working...
          X