Question about Sparco strut brace install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Sparco strut brace install

I just bought the Sparco strut tower brace for my car and was going to install it but saw you have to drill holes on the side of the strut tower to accomidate for the holes on the side plates of the brace. Can I drill these while the springs and shocks are in place or will they have to be removed so the drill bit doesnt hit them????

My Sparco bar is installed without these holes as of now.

Comment

The holes will be fine to drill with everything still on the car. The only problem you will have is that a large drill will hit the air box or valve cover. You will need a 90 deg. angle drill. I used an air powered drill to get the job done. Good luck.

Comment

You don't need to drill it. Leave it alone. Why make a new spot for rust, unless you plan on doing it right (sanding, priming, painting) . It is my opinion that the 2 bolts will hold it nicely. The angle the flows down to the 3rd hole is sharp enough to prevent the strut bar from sliding outwards.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I just tried installing it without drilling the holes, but when I slide one end onto the studs, the holes on the other side are too far away from the other studs by about half an inch. WTF??????

When I swap out my springs and shocks later this summer I'll drill the 3rd hole so I'll have access to the other side and can properly rustproof it.
          Last edited by Jonathan 90 M3; 06-26-2003, 05:48 PM.

Comment

I had a similar problem cuz my car had been hit on one side...mine wasnt quite half an inch tho. What i did was lift the car from the center...allowing me to slide it on easier.
            "A wolf in wolves clothing"
            Tiff Needell

Comment

The studs are angled into the engine bay. If you loosen the nuts and let the upper bearing drop down on both sides you should get things on. Remembering that the weight of the struts, brakes, tires, wheels are there so you need to be careful. Take the wheels off, and properly support the car. It also helps to have a 2nd jack handy to get things back into place. Some people say to jack up the car by the front cross memeber and this helps. I did mine when I had the struts out, so I cannot really comment on that method though.
              Last edited by wookie1976; 06-26-2003, 07:42 PM.

Comment

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...ghlight=sparco

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Doh, should have searched!!!:homer:

Thanks Magnus, that helped alot.

Comment

Working...
                  X