Aerial - where to install ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerial - where to install ?

My car came from the factory without radio and not even an aerial was installed. I just aquired a bavaria electronic which I intend to install during winter. (currently there is no music source on the car).

My question is, what to do with aerial ? Which would be the correct original postion, on roof I suppouse ? Or should I seek an nonvisible in-cabin solution ? I'm not very keen on drilling holes anywhere, but consider all options.

I know the best music is S14 singing but need to keep my wife quiet every now and then

huh? your car without an antenna?

Comment

huh? your car without an antenna?
      Well, there is no aerial currently and the paint on the roof is original and I can't detect any signs of filled holes...

Front wings have been repainted so I suppouse it could have been there - but don't know if they ever were installed on wings by the factory. The delivery sheet does not have any refence to radio.

Comment

get a dvd mp3 player, i got my jvc for about 300bux, 1 dvd holds 100hrs of music, please dont cut a hole in your roof, als, you might want to get creative and see if theres a way you can use the rear defogger as an antenna.

Comment

get a dvd mp3 player, i got my jvc for about 300bux, 1 dvd holds 100hrs of music
          I considered this option but went for a original look. However I've understood that there is a connector for input signal in Becker, so mp3 is still an plausable option.

The thing is that I like to listen to the radio, sometimes it's nice to hear new and surprising things and not allways your own old recordings.

please dont cut a hole in your roof,
          That is the last option...

you might want to get creative and see if theres a way you can use the rear defogger as an antenna
          Thats an idea, especially as this is a summer car, so no defrosting needed. Offcourse it's no match for a real aerial but should work.

Comment

AFAIK all E30 M's had the aerial mounted on the roof only, there are loads of options these days though for aerials that can be mounted inside the roof panel, or along the top of the windscreen. As has been said, don't go drilling holes in that nice un-touched roof!!

Comment

I would check the VIN and the provenance of the car.
              It might be worth more if it happens to be a rare original stripped car.
              m

Comment

What do you mean by stripped ?

VIN refers to normal non cat euro - I know there ownership record and there shouldn't be anything interestring there. One other option that I'm missing is the sunroof. All this could be because it was sold in Italy where these cars were taxed horribly, so they were deliverd with minimum options.

Comment

What do you mean by stripped ?

VIN refers to normal non cat euro - I know there ownership record and there shouldn't be anything interestring there. One other option that I'm missing is the sunroof. All this could be because it was sold in Italy where these cars were taxed horribly, so they were deliverd with minimum options - funny though that my car has leather seats and electric windows.

Comment

This gets more interesting. No sunroof. No radio antenna on the roof. Anyone else interested in getting the VIN and doing some research? No sunroof sounds like a custom order, or a race shell.

Worst case it's a standard e30 chassis that has been modified with M3 flares, skirts, and the like.

RedShark Racing http://www.brannfors.com
                    1988 M6
                    1990 M3
                    1991 M5

Comment

Worst case it's a standard e30 chassis that has been modified with M3 flares, skirts, and the like.
                      Bestell-nr 199
                      WBSAK010100842478

Modell 1001, 21.10.1986, 22h48m

Polster 0206, Farbe 181, Polster-ausf 310, auftrags-nr 08288229, prod 3991, lfdnr 199

SA: 0300 0314 0410 0814

Seems to me as a plain euro non cat. This info from the sheet under the back seat, chassis number matches.

First owner Stele Srl. (leased from BMW Italy)

Could it be that some race shells were sold as normal cars ?

Comment

it is as much race shell as a non-sunroof shell sent to Matter to have a cage welded in...

Anyway, it's not uncommon for an italian car to have almost no options.
                        I agree that it could be a tax issue. On the other hand if someone was willing to pay the extra tax because the engine has >2.0l capacity, I would expect he is willing to shell out for extras also.

Speaking of (almost no) options.
                        Let me guess: yours has an AC although it's not mentioned in the options list?
                        Back in those days BMW Italy made more money by ordering non-AC cars from the factory and then fit the AC system upon arrival in Italy, before delivery that is.

I've seen that on many 320is'es I looked at.

Comment

I agree that it could be a tax issue. On the other hand if someone was willing to pay the extra tax because the engine has >2.0l capacity, I would expect he is willing to shell out for extras also.
                          The extra payment was quite hefty, the vat for 'real' M3 was 38 % and for the 320is only 18%. My first thought was also that there should more extras if someone in the first place had the 'extra' money. But I've learned this when looking for a company car with a fixed budget... you can afford a powerful car with some extras or cheaper car with plenty of options. So do you take fully loaded 320is or M3 with no extras ? In this light I understand the original owner, he had the 'looks' options, metal colour (diamantschwartz) and leather seats (pearl beige) - this combimation sold the car for me also ! The only comfort option being electric windows.

I guess the AC would have cost about the same as the other options together.

There is no AC - this trick is common here in Finland also of the tax reasons. Car tax (believe it or not - close to 100 %) is levied on extras but if it sold as a spear part there is only normal VAT. So the AC installed here by the importer is about half the price of the factory stuff.

Comment

I would suggest a satellite radio subscription if available in your area. Better quality sound, no ads, and as much or more variety. The antenae bubbles used can also be very unobtrusive, and mounted with either sticky stuff or magnets. Something to think about at least.

Sounds like a really nice find, enjoy it!

random musings

Comment

Here she is, needless to say I love her... :p

BTW just realized she is one of the first to come out from the factory !

[IMG][/IMG]
                              Last edited by rvuorenr; 12-21-2005, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X