Announcement

Collapse

Session time has been extended...

Instead of 30 minutes, you will be logged into s14.net for 1.5 hours of inactivity before being logged-out. Also instead of having only 30 minutes to edit a post, it has now been extended to 60 minutes.
See more
See less

brake cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake cooling

What kits are people running short of the EVO III kit? I like the EVO inlets (fit nice and a factory look) but I'm looking for a step above for cooling. I want a kit that attaches to the hub and feeds air to the disks...plus a good fitting inlet. (i've seen the bimmerworld, BMP, Turner. Right now i'm leaning towards bimmerworld but I don't like the generic intakes) Any other suggestions? This will be used for the track with some street. Anybody have issues with leaving the hoses attached to the hubs when driving around town? (sharp turns a problem?)

Thanks!
    Chris
    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

If you're looking for a serious brake cooling kit for the track, form should always follow functionality. If you are an enterprising individual, the Evo ducts can be used with the B'World kit - you just have to engineer the solution on your own. The complete Bimmerworld kit is the #1 choice for a good reason - it's virtually bulletproof and it gets the job done. One important bit of information however. James Clay (from Bimemrworld) says that you should block the ducts off when racing unless ambient temperature is up around 100 deg. F. Forget about using this kit on the street. The reason is that constant temperature extremes (heating up and cooling off too quickly) drastically reduce rotor life and can even lead to rotor failure in extreme cases. Most racing brake pads also require pretty high temperatures to work most effectively and you will be doing more harm than good if you keep things below the recommended temperature range.

The consensus is as follows: below 80 degrees - ducts should be totally blocked, 80-90 degrees, ducts should be partially blocked, and above 100 degrees - ducts should be fully open.

Hope that helps out.
    Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
    1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
    2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
    http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

thanks for info, it never gets above 100 degrees here is Washington so it sounds like ducts aren't needed. I put those of my todo list after reading that warping brakes was a common problem on tracked M3's.

Out of curiousity, how do the Evo IIIs do with cooling the brakes when there isnt' any direct connection to the hub/rotor? If down the road i picked up a set, would I need to block them off for under 80 degree temps?
      Chris
      90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Those ducts just dump more air into the wheel well, so actual cooling effect is minimal, but seemingly just right for a street/light track duty car. I have them on my street car, although I admit it's primarily for aesthetic purposes.

Alles Beste!

B. Wheaton
        1989 E30 M3, Owner since June 2000
        2008 E61 535xiT - The DD and work horse

http://www.bayareamotorsport.com

Register your E30 M3!
        http://www.bmwmregistry.com

Comment

I still have half of the bimmerworld kit on my car, they cool to much!!! It's hard to keep heat in the pads, so you end up not really using them. Are you getting way to much brake fade? I don't even when I'm over at Spokane.

I used the whole Bimmerworld kit for about a year and 10 track days. It was a PITA to get the hoses from the flanges to the backing plates, They would fall off some times also, Then I found out I get BETTER braking if I keep the hoses off the car and have been running like that ever since. The EVO ducts seam to provide PLENTY of cooling, and it really no issue attaching then to the Bimmerworld kit.

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

Working...
          X