Mystery Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Noise

Was wondering if anybody could help me with this one, as it drives me a little nuts...

When it rains, (and ONLY when it rains) when pulling away from a dead stop, there is a single "clunk" noise coming from the left rear. Not real loud, just loud enough to hear over the windshield wipers/radio/rain/thunder and lightning/ you get the idea...

I first thought it was something rattling around in the trunk, but that didn't make much sense because weather wouldn't effect anything in there. Nevertheless, I went through it and removed/lashed down anything it might be...

Still there.

Have had the Shocks/springs/control arms replaced since I first heard the noise... Still there...

Any ideas?
    1990 BMW M3
    1988 Lamborghini Countach
    2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
    2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
    2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

I had a similar noise. Fixing a broken sway bar mount got rid of some of it. It turns out that the noise was really sway bar bushings that were dry. I lubed them with some grease and the rear has been quite since. (I know this sounds wierd, but I had a clunking noise like you....it sounded like the trunk lid was loose or there was something moving in the trunk).

Chris

Comment

Thanks... Ill look at the control mounts... Time to lube them anyways.

Was your noise constant or did weather seem to play a factor?
      1990 BMW M3
      1988 Lamborghini Countach
      2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
      2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
      2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

Comment

Weather didn't really play a factor. It seems strange that rain would cause a sound like this...it's worth a shot to check the bushings anyways.

Chris

Comment

Check the sway bar links and mounts, also the rear shock mounts.

The reason you may only hear it when it rains is the rain reflects more sound then dry open air, and you can only hear it then. It's the same that exhaust sounds louder when it's raining out.

Clunks in the rear of E30's is SO COMMON!

Do not click
          At least it's German

Comment

Working...
          X