oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak

My Europameister has leaked a 1/2 litre (max) of oil. There is no movement on the dipstick so I am thinking gearbox. Can anybody tell me where to look around the box and where they are likely to leak from. Thanls

Gearbox oil leaks past the rear seal of the tranny. If it does you'll see the dropplets hanging there. On the other hand losing 0.5 litre is a hell of a lot to leak pst that seal. How do you know it's half a litre? Is that how much you found on the floor?

Comment

First you might want to be sure as to weather it is engine oil or transmission fluid or power steering fluid as opposed to an assumption based on the dipstick.
      (unless you filled the crankcase your self, started the car built up pressure, then shut it off and waited 15mins before checking the level).

if it is engine oil, then check the sump plug first.
      That amount leaked out in a short time suggests
      1, loose or stripped sump plug/threads. or
      2, blown rear main seal. or
      3, blown section of the upper cork gasket.

If it is the tranny, then
      1, Input shaft seal or
      2, shift rod seal and overfilled box or
      3 tailshaft seal.

if power steering then
      1, check for fluid pooling in the track rod boots.
      2, the power steering pump and hoses.

You'll have to trace the leak from the rearmost lowest point on the car up to the source.
      m

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
        3, blown section of the upper cork gasket.
        Mark, are you referring to the timing cover gaskets?

Comment

Originally posted by Giorgio
          Mark, are you referring to the timing cover gaskets?
          I believe he means the upper oil pan gasket.

Comment

Well, to keep this thread going, has anybody replaced both of their timing cover gaskets? Is it possible to be done without pulling the head?

Comment

Well, to keep this thread going, has anybody replaced both of their timing cover gaskets? Is it possible to be done without pulling the head?
              nope, head has to come off. others have used a high temp silicone spray to seal leaks in this area.
              James
              sigpic

Comment

I have done that. It is possible to do without removing the head. I cleaned the underside of the headgasket and used a sealant to seal against the upper edge of the cover. Has been dry for 10.000 km

Comment

Originally posted by hardtailer
                  I have done that. It is possible to do without removing the head. I cleaned the underside of the headgasket and used a sealant to seal against the upper edge of the cover. Has been dry for 10.000 km
                  I think you have misinterpreted my question. I was wondering if there was a way to remove the upper timing cover without removing the head.
                  Originally posted by jht3
                  nope, head has to come off. others have used a high temp silicone spray to seal leaks in this area.
                  That's what I was afraid of. I tried to seal it up with Dirko, which reduced the leak, but not completely. I may try dying my oil to get a better look at the leak, then attempting Dirko again.
                  Last edited by Giorgio; 02-12-2006, 02:33 PM.

Comment

could be, but what do you mean by 'upper' timing cover?

I replaced gaskets nr 3 and 4 after taking of nr 1:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/g/1.png

Were you perhaps speaking of part nr 6 in:
                    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/l/10.png

Comment

I was referring to the part number 11; the cover for the "head" portion of the timing chain assembly.

Comment

part nr 11 in what diagram??
                        part 11 in this one is a hex bolt
                        http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/g/1.png

and in this one it's a stud...
                        http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/a/l/10.png

Comment

Hotlinking does not work on the realoem site, so I can't view from the links. I was talking about the piece that functions the same as the timing cover you removed, but it covers the 'head' portion, does that make sense?

Comment

Are we talking about an S14 here? All the BMW SOHC chain motors had that cover, but i don't think any of the DOHC motors does.

Comment

http://www.s14.net/photopost/showpho...cat=500&page=1

Comment

Working...
                              X