Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M3 abs light on dash

The abs warning light is on the dash,
    The brakes feel as if they ae cutting in and out as brake even at 2-5 mph.
    where is the abs control relay located?
    i have heard that the sensors play up and the wiring can often be faulty.
    any help would be really welcome.
    steve

Your relay sensor under the dash may be shot? You can open it up and see if the internals have melted.

There are other reasons thou...

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

My car did the same thing , the ABS would kick when coming to a stop at 2 - 5 MPH . The problem on my car was one of the ABS sensors,look on the inner wings and you'll see the wiring for the sensor and a connection .Buzz the connectors with a multi meter and also check the back sensors ( lift the rear seat cushion and there they are )If it is one of them you'll get a very different reading from the other 3. I paid 5 for a 2nd hand one as i believe they are around 50 each from BMW and it's been fine since .
      This space is a sanctimonious shit free zone.

Comment

Also, clean the wheel sensors, they are magnets and pick up stuff, this can cause the ABS to go wild!

Now, does the light go on as soon as you start the car, or after you roll a bit? If it's when the car starts you may have a dead sensor or computer. If it's after you roll, it may be a bad sensor or crap on the sensor.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

thanks for all the help guys.
          where exactly is the abs control relay located then?
          cheer steve.

Comment

i saw something about this somewhere on the web and i seem to remember something about a fused relay in the abs computer(?) that has has a tendency to pop, as a fuse can do. there was something about soldering in the "filament" of a fuse to replace it. anybody know more about this? though my brakes display no undesirable charactertistics, my light is on permanently.

Comment

same problems right after you start the car :shit:

Comment

Originally posted by atan888 View Post
                same problems right after you start the car :shit:
                Does it happen immediately when you start the car, or after the car has begun moving?

-Chris
                Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

I'm having the same issue (ABS light always on - from startup). I've taken the relay apart, but the internal fuse appears to be intact. I haven't had a chance to get under the car and look at the wiring and sensors. Hopefully I will find something there as opposed to the ABS control module or pump.
                  2003 Mitsu EVO VIII - 2.0L / 600+whp
                  1988 BMW M3 turbo - Work in progress. . .
                  1986 SVO Mustang - Work in progress. . .

Comment

first thing, check all the ABS wheel sensors. They are magnets & will attract crap & give false readings. The other test is a resistance test, but I don't know the proper range off the top of my head.

The sensors are super easy to remove, it's one 6 or 8mm alen head bolt. The other side is a simple electrical connector.

My other suggestion would be to check all the fuses & relays.

Do not click
                    At least it's German

Comment

I agree with the others that you should check the sensors first. I had the same problem on my car and it was one of the sensors. Just use a multimeter and measure the resistance, and the dead one will be quite apparent.
                      Cheers,
                      Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
                        Does it happen immediately when you start the car, or after the car has begun moving?

-Chris
                        it happens immediately as soon as you start the car.:shit:

Comment

Bump, I am having this problem immediatly on start up. I just did a brake job. Can anyone direct me to were the magnets are and if there is a wire I can test that I might have damaged?
                          Dan

88 M3
                          Black on Black

San Diego, CA
                          USA

Comment

If it is lighting up as soon as you start the car, it is not related to the wheel sensors.
                            Those will only trigger the light once you've begun to move.

If it lights up immediately after starting the car, it is likely tied to the relay under the dash. ABS computers themselves very rarely go bad.

HTH,
                            -Chris
                            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

OK, I checked the Relay and it looks like it is good. Could a weak battery cause problems. My car had been sitting and the battery was dead. I put a charger on it, but this is like the 3rd time that the battery has died on me.
                              Dan

88 M3
                              Black on Black

San Diego, CA
                              USA

Comment

Working...
                              X