engine noise question (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine noise question (long)

Well, for those that remember, I lost oil pressure on the freeway a while back, and had a "clickity clack" noise when I listened on the side of the road. I never could find evidence of damage. (no bits in the pan and I also looked at the cams, but did not look at the rod bearings) Anyway, I replaced the oil pump and put it back together. upon starting the oil pressure came right up and it seemed to be running quiet. I drove it around a bit and all seemed fine, so I pushed it a bit and still all was fine. Back at home I popped the hood and listened. I think I can hear some new noises, but I'm not sure. It could just be valve noise. I just replaced the tensioner this morning with the e36 version. But that hasn't changed anything. (didn't really expect it to) THis is getting long and I"ve yet to ask a question. I guess my question is would a local mechanic be able to diagnose it if there is a problem? It's an import place that always has many BMW's in the shop, or is this something an S14 savy mechanic should listen to. Am I driving a time bomb? Anyone want to listen? I'm in S. CA near San Bernardino (loma linda, to be specific) I'd like to think that it's all better and that I shut it down in time........oh, one more question...is a valve adjustment hard to do on this car? should I do it? a local guy? or an s14 guy? Sorry for the long post. Waiting for someone to answer all my problems and make everything alright......
    Zach

When was your last valve adjustment? Are you hypersensitized to natural car sounds now?

If it's engine problems then always bring it to an S14 pro. Everything else DIY or bring it to a regular shop you trust.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

you know i'm not sure when my last adjustment was. (bad) I bought the car (his daimond black one) two years ago from John Mendoza (his daimond black one)for those that remember him. He was a real meticulous maintainer. I'll go through his records again and see if I can find out. How often should the valves be adjusted on S14's? And yes, I'm afraid I might be hearing things that have always been there. It sounds normal with the hood closed. One other thing,I hear a bit of a whine that follows the RPM'S that wasn't there for sure before. Could this be from the new oil pump and fully tightened oil pump chain? I've now put about a hundred miles on the car with no new developments....
      Zach

Comment

Since you have notice the oil pressure instantaneously, there could be no serious damage on the crank rod bearings. Regarding the noise, it could just be the valve lifters. I have this kind of noisy clicks in my car too but it is apparent that they come from the valve lifters and I am not worried. I drive my car hard daily with this condition and its still OK. Before, I suspected the noise was due to excessive valve lash and I did valve adjustment, made the clearance .010 both intake and exhaust. The result, noise was still there but considerably reduced + loss torque at 4000 RPM up! I was wanting more power and ignored the noise, hence again I reset the valve clearance to .011 Intake and .013 Exhaust.

Adjusting the valve clearance is easy if you have the special tool (looks like a hook) to jam the lifter against the cam while you remove the shim below the cam lobes. Before removing the shims, take first all the valve clearance readings in all the valves and note it down. The clearance can be adjusted only by substituting the correct shim thickness (put a thicker shim to reduce the gap and a thinner shim to increase the gap). Shim sets of different thickness (.05 mm increments) can be purchased from your BMW parts shop.

I can e-mail you the step by step instruction on how to adjust the valve clearance. Also, the special tool can be fabricated easily and I can send you a sketch of it with all the dimensions. Just respond to my e-mail address [email protected].

Regarding the noise, check your alternator, water pump, power steering pump or A/C compressor bearings. Most likely, the alternator bearing is the culprit.

Regards,

audi

Comment

Since you have notice the oil pressure instantaneously, there could be no serious damage on the crank rod bearings. Regarding the noise, it could just be the valve lifters. I have this kind of noisy clicks in my car too but it is apparent that they come from the valve lifters and I am not worried. I drive my car hard daily with this condition and its still OK. Before, I suspected the noise was due to excessive valve lash and I did valve adjustment, made the clearance .010 both intake and exhaust. The result, noise was still there but considerably reduced + loss torque at 4000 RPM up! I was wanting more power and ignored the noise, hence again I reset the valve clearance to .011 Intake and .013 Exhaust.

Adjusting the valve clearance is easy if you have the special tool (looks like a hook) to jam the lifter against the cam while you remove the shim below the cam lobes. Before removing the shims, take first all the valve clearance readings in all the valves and note it down. The clearance can be adjusted only by substituting the correct shim thickness (put a thicker shim to reduce the gap and a thinner shim to increase the gap). Shim sets of different thickness (.05 mm increments) can be purchased from your BMW parts shop.

I can e-mail you the step by step instruction on how to adjust the valve clearance. Also, the special tool can be fabricated easily and I can send you a sketch of it with all the dimensions. Just respond to my e-mail address [email protected].

Regarding the noise, check your alternator, water pump, power steering pump or A/C compressor bearings. Most likely, the alternator bearing is the culprit.

Regards,

audi

Comment

Working...
          X