Damn it! I failed emissions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damn it! I failed emissions

I failed the hydrocarbons portion of the emissions test here in Chicago. The max level is a .8 and I got a 1.34. When I bought the car it was straight piped so I just blew $350 on a cat but I don't know what else to do? I guess I could check the o2 sensor and put the stock chip back in. Anyone else have any ideas?
    "Condoms break baby, Deal with it."

- Max Weinberg

I need a full listing of all your emission numbers to help you further.

Comment

This is what I did. I too failed like a few years back. I took my car out on the road for a good run up to like 100mph for a bit and kinda ran her hard. Came back and passed no problem. This was on the advice of my friend who is a German Master Mechanic.
      Mad Mike

Comment

Fist off, make sure your car is runnig right!
        Get the valves adjusted, tb's synced and base CO set after that...

Drive the car around, get it REALLY HOT< then do some driving in the HIGH RPMS, then take it to get tested and try not to wait in line long.

If your car is tuned right, you don't need a cat on there.

Do not click
        At least it's German

Comment

Originally posted by EVOIIIM3
          Drive the car around, get it REALLY HOT< then do some driving in the HIGH RPMS, then take it to get tested and try not to wait in line long.
          yep, seeing as how you failed the HC portion, getting the cats FULLY warmed up and burning the remaining HCs is vitally important. i had my car on the 5-gas machine and my HCs were above spec, so i brought the RPMs up to 2000 for about 2 minutes, and they dropped to nearly 0.
          -Dave

A purist with a slight hot-rodding streak.

Comment

Make sure you change the oil the day of the test. Sounds strange, but it can make the difference between passing the HC test and failing.

Comment

Working...
            X