uh oh... oil burnin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uh oh... oil burnin.

im shooting some pretty "impressive" clouds of smoke when i drive my car a little harder... what could cause this? oil rings? i do need my headgasket replaced, could that have any role in the situation?
    1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

what color smoke ya' got? blue or brown?

Comment

blue'ish brown lol. theres like a film of gunk on the back of my car from the smoke.
      1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

if you've got little dark specks within that film you probably just running too rich of a fuel mixture. check stuff like your o2 sensor, afm, fuel pressure regulator, etc. if it's actually blue smoke, you need a compression test.

Comment

really? it could just be my o2?? my head gasket DOES need to be replaced, theres no way that could have anything to do with it?
          1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

why does your head gasket need to be replaced? are you sure it does? if your head gasket is bad you should have water in your oil. have you had a compression test?

Comment

well i was told by the dealer there is a crack in the back of it, and that it was leaking...so i figure that means its bad. i just thought with dark smoke it would be the oil seals or something like that. im sure after all the crap going through the exhaust my o2 is bad. what do you think?
              1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

burning coolant will coat your o2 sensor, which will in turn command a rich condition all the time, which could explain the dark smoke if you do indeed have a small head gasket crack.

if you can do a compression test that would be a good idea, but a leakdown test could show where the problem area is better.
                -Dave

A purist with a slight hot-rodding streak.

Comment

big ole puff of blue earler today. im taking my car in tomorrow after i put my steering wheel in. im scared.
                  1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

yea, that's oil.... good luck
                    -Dave

A purist with a slight hot-rodding streak.

Comment

thanks =0(
                      1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Working...
                      X