Suspension/Camber Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension/Camber Plates

Hey guys, just picked up an m3 shell and had a couple questions regarding suspension options. I was thinking of going with H&R coilovers but was wondering what available adjustable camber plates there were out that would fit. I know GC's only work with there own stuff, so what are my options. Also why are gc coilovers so cheap, from what I was reading on their website it isnt a true coilover suspension liek the H&R, am I right?

suspension

For camber plates you can also use Ireland Engineering or KMAC. The KMAC are polyurethane though, not like the solid GC or IE plates. GC coilovers are priced competively because they are not off the shelf products like H&R. MOst people like the GC's because it allows the customer to choose his own specs. The price of GC may not reflect the actual cost of getting the set up you want. There are extras: special shocks/struts, revalving, shortening of the strut housing, welding the adjustable collar on, reinforcing stuff, etc. In the end I believe the GC product is a better choice because it can be totally customized to meet your needs.
    Last edited by ttw18; 07-13-2003, 06:40 PM.

Comment

you can use H&R coilovers with GC camber plates, two of my friends run the same setup.

H&R are no more "coilover" than GC's, they both have seperate spring/shocks in the rear. In fact, the H&R coilovers aren't even rear height adjustable, whereas the GC's are height adjustable on all four corners.

The reason GC's are cheaper, is that you re-use your stock front strut housing. You have to shorten them and weld on a new spring perch. I had bimmerworld do all the strut modifications for me.

read up here for GC info:
      http://www.e30m3performance.com/inst...p/GC_susp1.htm

Han
      -Han

Comment

Han- that's incorrect, H&R's are height adjustable in the rear.
        While H&R doesn't offer as many choices for spring rates as the GC univerals weld on coilovers, H&R offers a couple of kits, Street and RSS for weekend track cars. You can order specific spring rates from H&R, but costs you more in the end since they don't allow swapping them into the pre made kits.

I am using the KMAC's with my H&R's.
        Chris
        90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

Originally posted by cramer
          Han- that's incorrect, H&R's are height adjustable in the rear....
          strange.

I know two people with H&R coilovers, and theirs aren't rear height adjustable.
          -Han

Comment

I have the GC setup and I think its great. Fully adjustable ride height, adjustable shocks, customizable spring rates, solid mounted camber plates (Wayyy nicer than the KMACs that were on my car) by the way. I would definitely recommend the entire setup.
            Will
            Speed, as Iíve said many times before, makes you cleverer.

-Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Han- how long ago did they purchase the coilovers? I believe H&R changed to the rear adjusters in their kits either last year or the year before. Either way, if someone buys a kit now, they get full height adjustability
              Chris
              90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

These came along when I bought my coilovers dierctly from H&R.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...HR92-K-X100A02

Seats Taken...No one rides for free...:burnbaby:

Comment

Originally posted by cramer
                  Han- how long ago did they purchase the coilovers? I believe H&R changed to the rear adjusters in their kits either last year or the year before. Either way, if someone buys a kit now, they get full height adjustability
                  that makes sense, they bought theirs about two years ago.
                  -Han

Comment

i just got my IE front plates, sawy links and rear GC mounts. they are all beautiful parts. ill post pics later
                    "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                    "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                    onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

So what about reinforcemnet of the housing since they are solid plates (GC/IE's). Does it make for a harsher ride? Thanks for all the replies guys, still trying to figure everything out if I go with ground controls.

Comment

Originally posted by inline6
                        So what about reinforcemnet of the housing since they are solid plates (GC/IE's) Does it make for a harsher ride?....
                        The strut housing?
                        You don't actually reinforce any of the strut itself.
                        You should reinforce the swaybar tabs on the front strut housings
                        while you have them out.

I can't comment on how much harsher the ride is after you install
                        solid plates. I did shocks, springs, camber plates, and RSMs all at once.
                        -Han

Comment

Thats the IE plats, very simple. they work with non coil overs unlike the GC's.

"Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Working...
                          X