Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Noise -could it be my cat. converter? (long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Noise -could it be my cat. converter? (long)

I am trying to diagnose a noise I have on my car. Here is my original post on roadfly:

******START*****

My car is making this sound that I thought I had figured out. I was pretty sure it was either the valves or the injectors. I even checked the valves a few months ago and they were all within spec (they just cleared the lower end specs). Anyways, the sound had gotten louder and I am not sure what it is anymore. I can hear it distinctly at idle and I can hear it over the engine noise all the way up to 4.5K rpm. It is definitely not a solid ticking sound as some suggest, it is more of a constant, pulsing sound. It's hard to describe but the best I comparison is sticking a piece of reed or thin paper into the blades of a house fan while it's moving. I have checked the exhaust shields and they're all bolted in tight. From the driver seat, it sounds like it is coming from under the car but when I pop the hood, I can hear it most from the top of the engine bay.

I know the car makes a lot of noise and I don't want to sound anal, but this is bothering me (especially since it seems to be getting louder).
    Also, is there a definite way of checking injectors for noise?

******END*******

Well, I have gotten responses with several different possible problems. I was just wondering if it could be my cat? I think it may be going out since I hear a metallic exhaust note when reving cold. I also recall that there is a metal baffle in the cat that can come loose. The sound does seem to originate from that area too.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
    Last edited by Chris in SJ; 07-17-2003, 01:21 PM.

Heat shields on top of cats have a reputation of breaking their spot welds. This makes all kinds of noises. Mine just broke and I too thought that the big exhaust heat shield was dragging on the ground it was so loud! Turned out to be that damn cat shield. Give that a look.

Comment

Working...
    X