Oil cooler from space!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil cooler from space!

So what do you guys think of this oil cooler? from a ex Prodrive GRP A BTCC car i believe, soon probably to be fitted to my track car.

Is that an oil to water exchanger? If so, just remember that you will need to be sure your current water system can handle/dissipate the new load. You could also plumb in a seperate system just for the oil exchanger, but you will pay in weight and space. Air to oil is the most efficient method I believe since you will have efficiency drops going from oil to water to air, but I have to pull out my old thermodynamics textbook to be sure on that 100%.

Comment

yeah, you have some points i was worried about, i need to see how they originally plumbed this in and what parts they used, i guess they used a custom radiator in the touring cars, i may just leave it on my shelf at home.

Comment

If I was redoing the oil cooler circuit, I'd either skip the cooler, since I run synth. Or if the temps turned out to be too high, I'd run a oil to water unit. Synth is fine to very high temps, especially if you change it out before/after a big event. One thing I like about a oil/water unit is that it warms up your oil faster than stock...less waiting until you can wind out the beast. They also have inherently higher capacity than the stock unit.

Anyone know how to ditch the oil cooler? In terms of blocking off or replumbing the thermostat gizmo on the engine block...

Stan

Comment

I guess seeing as owners of 2002's who want an oil cooler use the M3 system you can simply do the reverse and buy a cheap 2002 oil filter housing.
          Nick Vyse
          M2 Touring
          (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

Stan, to delete the cooler couldn't you just run a short hose from between the two fittings on the filter mount, so the oil routed to the cooler by the thermostat just flows right back in?

Also, with the oil cooler deleted, synthetic oil or not, wouldn't the total reserve capacity of the cooling system be dramatically reduced? I would think that cool oil does quite a bit to keep engine temperature under control.....

Or am I wrong?

Comment

If the might of the BMW Motorsport research and development department thinks the S14 needs an oil cooler i'd say it needs an oil cooler. Losing upto 15% of your oil and then not cooling what's left is a recipe for disaster unless your install a rev limiter set at 3000rpms!

Comment

Re: Oil cooler from space!

Originally posted by m3geezer
                So what do you guys think of this oil cooler? from a ex Prodrive GRP A BTCC car i believe, soon probably to be fitted to my track car.

Hey Simon,

FWIW, do you think that "could" have come from a Prodrive M3 rally car?

I own a Prodrive ex BTCC Grp A car, and the oil cooler setup is very similar to stock.
                Now I do agree that Prodrive did not blindly march to the BMW Motorsport beat, as evidenced by some of the other stuff on my car thats pretty different from some of the other Grp A cars I have seen.
                But I have never seen or even heard mention of a water to oil cooler.

It is possible it was something they tried on the BTCC cars though.
                I wouldn't discount it, but I am wondering if it may have come from a rally car???

Where did you come by this interesting piece if you do not mind me asking???

Cheers
                jimmy p.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

>>>If the might of the BMW Motorsport research and development department thinks the S14 needs an oil cooler i'd say it needs an oil cooler. Losing upto 15% of your oil and then not cooling what's left is a recipe for disaster unless your install a rev limiter set at 3000rpms!<<<

I'd try it out and see. If the temps are too high for synthetic, I'd go with a water/oil unit. I had one of those on a Jaguar V12 sedan I used to have...they come with them stock.

One of the things I don't like about the stock setup is the warm up time. Before you work a motor hard the oil temps need to come up. They rise more slowly than the water temperature.

So you warm up your car and the oil is still not hot enough. Bell suggests in his books that you don't go WOT / high revs until you reach about 160-165 F. If you do this religiously your motor will live longer.

Water/Oil units have the added feature of warming up your oil much faster than stock. So the fun can start sooner. It's also nice to get some more weight off of the front of the car.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                  X