Reverse/back-up lights stay on while in 1st - 5th gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse/back-up lights stay on while in 1st - 5th gears

While driving I scare the crap out of everyone behind me! My reverse lights just POP - ON and scare the shit out of whomever decides to tailgate me.

What could I check? I've giggled & wiggled all wires associated with it's correct function and it's still happening.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Re: Reverse/back-up lights stay on while in 1st - 5th gears

Originally posted by Magnus
    While driving I scare the crap out of everyone behind me! My reverse lights just POP - ON and scare the shit out of whomever decides to tailgate me.

That would be a cool feature if you could control it!

I hear it's has to do with a switch by the shifter?????? Magnus, check the SIG. I've heard this issue discussed before.

90 Sterling 2.5L E30///M3 lifer
    97 Porsche Carrera S
    13 Audi S6
    SOLD 03 Audi RS6 daily
    GONE 88 E28///M5 project

Comment

The reverse light is actuated by a pin switch screwed into the tranny. You may have a stuck or sticking reverse switch. Id remove the old one and replace it with a new one since they are fairly cheap. There may be a short in that area as well. You could check the switch to see if its sticking by removing it and pressing the little ball in. This should connect and break the circiut when you cycle it. After that doesnt work, get out the electrical diagram and a volt meter.

Comment

I lost my password for my email account that the SIG sends mail . I've just been lazy and haven't fixed it. I think I've missed 3 months worth of mailings.

I'll go search for my password now..... :idea:

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

your lucky...mine wont turn on even in reverse. My problem is the switch on the tranny...have you checked that?
          "A wolf in wolves clothing"
          Tiff Needell

Comment

I would think that you problem lies in the switch as well, i'd check it out and clean it , but if its toast le me know and i'll wave my wand and see if one appears.
            sigpic

Comment

Mine doesn't turn on in reverse, but it isn't the switch. It is a break somewhere in the wire harness to the rear tail lights. I really need to fix that...
              Bryan K.
              Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Working...
              X