Anything wrong with these lights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anything wrong with these lights?

I am in the market for smilies and I found these aftermarket on ebay for 150.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-91...48834710QQrdZ.

This seems to be quite a bit cheaper then even used original lights. Does anybody know if the quality is really that low on these lights that they would be so much cheaper?

linky no worky!
    Drive it like you stole it!

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-91...48834710QQrdZ1

Comment

Well I guess that link doesn't work either.

Comment

Try this link:

ebay

or search for: 8048834710

I've got a late model with sealed beams, so I've never been into the ellips. But these look good and are reasonably priced.

Hopefully someone knowledgable on the ellips will chime in.

-Dietrich

Comment

Those are the exact lights I was talking about.

Comment

There was the same topic posted in the Off Topic section...

They are made by Depo; located in Taiwan. They are cheaply made (which shows in their price). They are known for some leaks due to weak construction and the plastic is weaker than Hella or Bosch.

Comment

One thing I noticed is the two mounting tabs on the top of the "Depo" buckets... My '91 [sealed beam] buckets only have one tab on top, and IIRC, the car's chassis just has one mount point on top. It seems therefore that these buckets wouldn't fit my car. ???

Is there really a difference in the mounting system between early and late M3's? That doesn't make sense to me.

Just curious. I'm no lighting expert - I'd rather spend my limited funds elsewhere on the car.

-Dietrich

Comment

I figured they were a cheaper brand but seeing as how mine is not a daily driver and it hardly ever sees rain I think they would probably work for me.

Comment

They certainly look great and seem to work well, especially for the price! However, they tend to allow moisture inside the housing. Can't say all of them will do this but I've heard and seen it happen.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
                    85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
                    91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

I bet if I sealed the seem myself before I installed them it would take carre of most of the problem with these lights then.

Comment

Working...
                      X