CF Replica Plenum DANGER!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CF Replica Plenum DANGER!!!!!!!

I need to make this post after my discovery this evening. Well, it's Friday and I am ready to kick back and do and oil change for the new season. Well....that is when it happened my friends. Browsing at my plenum I notice that I am missing 2 acorn nuts. WTF!!!!!....look at the bottom....missing 2 there too! It also appears as if one of the bolts sheared....NOT COOL!

So....here goes removal of the plenum. If anybody is familiar with the CF replica plenum from John, they are acquainted with the fact that the studs are held/guided by helicoils drilled an tapped into the CF. I DID NOT use Red threadlocker to set the studs for installation and they vibrated loose! The one that appeared sheared was indeed NOT sheared but almost backed it's way ALL THE WAY into the CF plenum! That would have been a dandy to suck that by the throttle plate eh!?

So....wow...this could not only be a potential for an air leak but also could have been a MAJOR catastrophe. It's all back together now and I used SS lock washer and red threadlocker on all studs anchored by helicoil and all exposed thread to be covered by an acorn nut. I debated using nylock nuts but decided that the treadlock should work just fine. LUCKILY I FOUND THIS before my DYNO run tomorrow. I am slated for 2 hours of AN tuning.

WOW guys...I dodged a bullet. So anyhow....I noticed that if you let the oil drain (with cap on VC removed of course) for about 40 minutes then take the filter off (with ziplock back), you can literally get NO spillage. Anyhow, that was cool. Everything is back together...clean oil for my dyno run. I am happy and feel fortunate! The oil I took out was very clean which was another thing to be happy about.

So....I guess the moral of this story is...a visual inspection every few days certainly can't hurt and can save you some serious headached presently and/or down the road!

MAN.....

P.S. Holy Christ....the new 15w 50 formula (Mobil 1) was/is 6.59 a fucking qt at NAPA. $40 for oil!:surprised

Go Huskies tonight....(Uconn Huskies that is!:t: )

good point! S14s buzz like crazy, I was missing bolts here and there every 500 miles or so

Comment

yeah...I nearly fainted at the sight of the missing nuts. Sorry for all the spelling and grammatical errors on that post...my wife was yelling at me to get off the computer and spend some time with her. You guys know what that's all about. :cool:

Got my S14.net CafePress shirt today too....what a day!

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin
        yeah...I nearly fainted at the sight of the missing nuts. Sorry for all the spelling and grammatical errors on that post...my wife was yelling at me to get off the computer and spend some time with her. You guys know what that's all about. :cool:

LOL... that's why I got her a different laptop happy wife=happy life

Comment

Koo I wounder if thats my old box? let us know what your car ends up making on the dyno. I havent been to the since I put my AN in a year ago, hit 180 on half tuned map.

Cisko

Comment

Originally posted by ciskoe
            Koo I wounder if thats my old box?
            Your old box?

Comment

yeah...I nearly fainted at the sight of the missing nuts.
              Id faint if my nuts were missing too!:homer:
              1990 BMW M3
              1988 Lamborghini Countach
              2004 Mercedes Benz S500 Lorinser
              2005 Mercedes Benz ML 500
              2006 Mercedes Benz ML 500

Comment

I had a cf plenum replica and passed it over to Mark I believe. This was a year ago then he posted it for sale after a month or two due to change of plans and budget. I had put a small ///M3 decal on the left side.

Cisko

Comment

Re: CF Replica Plenum DANGER!!!!!!!

[BP.S. Holy Christ....the new 15w 50 formula (Mobil 1) was/is 6.59 a fucking qt at NAPA. $40 for oil!:surprised

[/B]
                  Don't feel bad. The 993 takes 12 quarts (and 2 oil filters). That's nearly $100 in parts for an oil change.

Oh, but it's worth every penny

Joe
                  2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
                  1995 Porsche 993
                  2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
                  2004 Ford F-150 FX4
                  2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
                  1985 BMW M635CSI
                  2001 BMW M3
                  1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

I had a cf plenum replica and passed it over to Mark I believe. This was a year ago then he posted it for sale after a month or two due to change of plans and budget. I had put a small ///M3 decal on the left side.

Cisko
                    No...I bought mine new from John

Comment

koo I was just woundering were that airbox ended up at?

Cisko

Comment

whose koo?
                        1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

koo I was just woundering were that airbox ended up at?

Cisko
                          isn't that my old box too? man that thing is a slut!

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
                          they are not idiots.

Comment

Intake leaks on a A/N system don't mean a thing! Since there is NO metering device, there are no downsides to intake leaks other then having unfiltered air.

The big question is why did this happen? The plenum is SUPER light. There should be NO problems with it at all. I would check to make sure the plenum is not resting on the brake master cylinder. This might be causing the problem when the engine torques to one side.

If you used the 740 engine mounts, then the plenum IS resting on the master, and will break threw the plastic elbows for the brake fluid tank. You will need to shim the drivers side mount for clearance.

Do not click
                            At least it's German

Comment

what are you talking about? It's a replica plenum to the stock unit. Not close to touching anything. The studs vibrated loose along with the nuts b/c I neglected to loctite red them. Problem solved. Intake leak would make a difference at idle if the motor is tuned without the intake leak.

Comment

Working...
                              X