Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMWi4
    replied
    In reply to a PM, I R/R the fuel line & replaced all four injectors also found a few questionable vacuum lines so replaced all of those and engine seems to run very smoothly now.

Essentially a leaky fuel injector and/or deteriorating vacuum lines were causing the poor idle. If you check out any fuel injector shop, they should be able to flow test for you and let you know if they are within spec.

Leave a comment:

• BMWi4
    replied
    Last bump with solution: Turns out it was a fuel delivery & vacuum issue. If anyone encounters a similar problem check your injectors and fuel filter. My injectors were Also firing but one had a little leak

Leave a comment:

• BMWi4
    replied
    Last bump with solution: Turns out it was a fuel delivery & vacuum issue. If anyone encounters a similar problem check your injectors and fuel filter

Leave a comment:

• BMWi4
    replied
    Nothing like bumping an 8 year old thread but I'm having the same issue. Anyone have this same problem where the resolution wasn't an exhaust leak? I have similar case of not using the car for an extended period and funky idle with good timing, ignition and fuel... In case anyone stumbles on this with the same issue, my next step is to check for a leaking fuel injector, then fpr. Once I've removed the injectors, if theres no obvious buildup or grime on them, how can I check if they function correctly with them out of the car?

Leave a comment:

• Preston
    replied
    my henna developed the same problem last time i drove it a few months ago. low funds made me park it for a minute but i finally got under it with it running and noticed a gap between my exhaust manifold and the head....the exhaust manifold gaskets were even fluttering.
    so now i gotta get it runnin so i can make the tndubs.com g2g this weekend but, i think i stud or two might be broken and stuck in there :(

Leave a comment:

• sirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by D.R.
    Sounds like the motor is fine, take off the muffler (it's only two band clamps) and see if that helps.
    I actually dropped the entire exhaust (header-back) a month or so ago and had the same problem. :sosad:

Leave a comment:

• D.R.
    replied
    Sounds like the motor is fine, take off the muffler (it's only two band clamps) and see if that helps.

Leave a comment:

• sirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Verruckt
    Actually, I do have an update. I also find it pretty interesting that my car sounded the same as yours.

It turned out that my valves were shimmed too tight in cyl #4 (couldnt even fit a .1 feeler gauge in there) and the valves were open all the time causing incomplete combustion. It also was causing a mean ticking.

Compression on that one cylinder was at an unreadable amount, pretty much 0 PSI, and this was just another hint.

I re-adjusted the valves properly and it runs great now.

I noticed you mentioned that you stored it for winter, and did a valve adjustment and now it runs like you say it does, maybe you too have adjust them too tight? It's worth a shot.
    Valve clearances were the first thing I checked (and double....quadruple checked ). My compression numbers were good, too.

I may try loosening up the clearances a bit and see if maybe somehow that is the problem, but I only had to replace 1 shim and swap 2 others.

Thanks for the feedback.

Leave a comment:

• Verruckt
    replied
    Actually, I do have an update. I also find it pretty interesting that my car sounded the same as yours.

It turned out that my valves were shimmed too tight in cyl #4 (couldnt even fit a .1 feeler gauge in there) and the valves were open all the time causing incomplete combustion. It also was causing a mean ticking.

Compression on that one cylinder was at an unreadable amount, pretty much 0 PSI, and this was just another hint.

I re-adjusted the valves properly and it runs great now.

I noticed you mentioned that you stored it for winter, and did a valve adjustment and now it runs like you say it does, maybe you too have adjust them too tight? It's worth a shot.

Leave a comment:

• sirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by Verruckt
    Any update on this? was there a fix?

I've got the same EXACT issue with my m3.

And it also sat for about the same time, a good 4 months without being run.
    Unfortunately, no. I have been swamped with things non-M3 related for months and am in the process of replacing the water pump to see if somehow the ancilliary components are causing the issue.

It has killed me this summer not being able to drive the M :(.

I'll let you know of any updates and please do the same if you have any luck.

Leave a comment:

• Verruckt
    replied
    Any update on this? was there a fix?

I've got the same EXACT issue with my m3.

And it also sat for about the same time, a good 4 months without being run.

Leave a comment:

• t13vom
    replied
    ...Sounds Interesting...

After having pulled a nested mouse family out of a 7-series blower motor anything is possible.

The ticking sounds like lifters...

If you had the facilities I would say disconnect the exhaust and fire her up. Maybe a baffle has collapsed some were if a varmint is not the problem...

Either way good luck!

Cheers!

Leave a comment:

• oscarcab0
    replied
    Oh hell, I can't resist.........maybe you have a snake up your exhaust.......that whole situation is weird. I stand by what I said earlier.......get that thing up on a hoist and get it checked....from head to tailpipe. WEIRD....

Leave a comment:

• sirrus
    replied
    Originally posted by petro
    it does sound like it is being blocked somehow. could a poor little critter have crawled into the exhaust while it was stored? that would match up to your circumstances... or cats falling apart?
    Actually, before the recent maintenance stuff, the most recent service job was a cat replacement (7-8 months ago) w/no problems.

I suppose it's possible that something climbed into the exhaust, but it would have to have been an ambitious little bugger since I have the supersprint DTM pipes.

Leave a comment:

• petro
    replied
    it does sound like it is being blocked somehow. could a poor little critter have crawled into the exhaust while it was stored? that would match up to your circumstances... or cats falling apart?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X