Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Brace / cross brace from the E36

E36 cabrio /Lightweight X-Brace~
    I have not ever turned up real info on whether or not this will fit the E30 M3.
    Searched and only fine the rumor “it may fit with some modification".

Has anyone made there own brace or fitted a modified E36 unit?
    Steve
    "Technology is the only replacement for displacement" - TRD

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

I looked at fitting the xbrace to the m3. It didn't really seem feasible. Main reasons: the e36 has welded-in attachment points on the frame rails that our cars do not have. Could you possibly use nutserts on the frame rails? maybe if you could source them and you are comfortable with the load they will be supporting. The main reason I found it would not work is that it hits the exhaust.

Jason

Comment

SIZZEARCH FOR RIZZEAL

Comment

They fit, I'm installing on on my car maybe sunday. You have to drill 2 holes, insert 6 nutserts, and pound some exhaust pipes. The angle of the rear 2 mounting holes dosn't line up with the angle of the E30 chassis, but I know 2 people who have made it work.
        85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

i plan on making it work on my track car. and i plan on making a detailed write up about it

Comment

i have the x brace on my e36, and i compared it with the bottom of my e30 m3 and it didnt look too far off.. but if the rear mounts dont line up... and youd have to "make it work" by bending etc. i would think youd lose some of the functionality of it.

so in reality, i know nothing hope that helps :p
            1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

So what came of this... I still want to do this mod...

Some people "have seen it". Pictures/write-up would be killer.
              Steve

(For business related questions please contact my other user name '[email protected]')

Comment

I have a big hammer I cam make it fit:jakeguita
                Gary Gray
                88 M3 Alpine white Track/race car (maybe a turbo in future)
                89 M3 ZinnerBot (restoration project)
                91 VW GTI 2.0 16V
                01 325it Daily Driver/part time track car, not stock

If you can take it apart...you can make it faster...

Comment

One of our members did a pictorial of this adaptation. It's around here somewhere.

m

Comment

I keep searching and I still can not find a write up or pictures.
                    If any one has the link it would be great.
                    Steve

Comment

I had one on my 85 325e for 2 days before removing it, the lowest spot of the brace was 1.5 inches off the ground and would constantly scrap on dips etc...

85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Basically, the brace was centered using the E30 front engine crossmember.
                        the right hand rear arm of the E36 brace had an extension strap of 1/4" steel so it could be bolted to the E30 frame rail just behind where it starts to curve upward and forewards.

m

Comment

Working...
                        X