Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why doesn't the U.S. C/F and F/G shops make good products?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why doesn't the U.S. C/F and F/G shops make good products?

I hear everyone complain about how shitty U.S. parts are. Why is that? I'm sure we can make parts here. Or maybe all the real technology is going towards the Asian market car? Everything I have seen here looks really bad for any E30! That is everything except the new bumpers everyone has.

We need good c/f pieces!

I have bought 2 carbon fiber hoods from US shops. The first one was a GMG hood. After 3 tries and almost 1/2 a year of time they finally produced an "acceptable" hood. The hood was not perfect, but again it is hard make a perfect hand made hood. I had many little quibs about it, but the hood was probably a 7-8 out of 10 for my taste. Alex or anybody else who has seen the hood can chime in here for there imput.

I have sitting in my living room a VIS carbon fiber hood. without fitting this to my car I would say this hood is as close to a 10 as you can get. The ONLY thing that would make it a 11 out of 10 would be if they were to do the whole underside in CF, only because that would be really cool.

I cannot find one defect in the weave, the product was packaged exceptionally (unlike the GMG hood) The hood feels a bit lighter than my memory serves mo for the GMG hood. Oh and the VIS hood has a tab to mount the hood support bracket, something GMG told me "could not be done":grr:

I understand Fiber artz makes good product, but like everything else in the US, you pay for good US work. (the VIS hood was made overseas)
    Maybe we can twist Sahae's arm to show us his CF fenders from Fiber Artz:jedi:

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
    they are not idiots.

Comment

VIS hood.....

Are you sure the VIS hood was made outside the US??? If so where?
      https://www.facebook.com/BMDmotorsport
      https://twitter.com/BMDracing

Comment

asia my guess. Ask sahae, he set up the whole thing with VIS

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
        they are not idiots.

Comment

VIS makes their hoods at their asian shop. I dont know where it is, but i think taiwan.

Im thinking of doing another GB for the hoods. The quality is beyond that of most all hoods ive seen.
          "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
          "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
          onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Im thinking of doing another GB for the hoods. The quality is beyond that of most all hoods ive seen. [/B]
            Id seriously consider going in on a group buy for a hood if the price was right.

Comment

In a few weeks my car's prototype CF work will be done at CDOC in Charlottesville, VA. They currently produce E36, E46, and 996 CF parts that are flawless.. including the front bumper for a Ruf that i've seen in person that is amazing- as was the E36 hood, which was easily half the weight of my old GMG (Eric's) CF hood.

The hood, decklid, wing, splitter, front bumper, rear bumper, and rear diffuser should be available for sale shortly thereafter. I will be organizing purchasing soon. Email if you are interested in a top of the line product.
              Alex McHenry

Comment

Re: So why doesn't the U.S. C/F and F/G shops make good products?

Originally posted by ClubRacerNV
                I hear everyone complain about how shitty U.S. parts are. Why is that? I'm sure we can make parts here. Or maybe all the real technology is going towards the Asian market car? Everything I have seen here looks really bad for any E30! That is everything except the new bumpers everyone has.

We need good c/f pieces!
                I agree the US made stuff is pretty lame.
                Motronix = lame.
                I have not seen Ireland's e30 hood so I cant comment.
                The GMG stuff has a terrible reputation.
                Vladan's stuff is nice, but limited (a great wing and a so so bumper)
                Even the Fiberartz stuff is not amazing. Everyone I know who had their stuff said it needed lots of "work".

I have heard the MA Shaw stuff "is" very nice, but their products for E30s & E30 M3s are VERY limited.

There is good stuff out there,,, just most of it is in Germany.
                Flossman, Nauman, E30 Shoppe...
                The associated shipping costs for big body parts just make it not so worth it for us Yanks.

Someones gotta get the Asian guys interested in making parts for e30s. You see the prices they are paying for their parts is VERY reasonable, AND the quality is well above what most of the "BMW" fabricators are producing. The prices those Asian car guys are paying for their parts rivals the prices 'Merican car guys pay.

The problem is not getting top quality stuff,,, the "problem" is getting good quality stuff at a reasonable price.

The top quality stuff already exists, its in Germany.
                But "most" guys who need / buy CF - Composite parts are track guys or racers, no racer wants to pay top dollar for bumper covers or Hoods, fenders that are semi disposable. Trunk lids, wings, even doors are OK. But I'm on my 2nd bumper cover and I have not ever had an on track accident. Punt some cones, scrape the trailer ramps or kerbs a few times, they are shot.
                If you are a street "show" type,,, then just buy the currently available nice stuff you will likely have it forever.

I liked that VIS hood guys posted the pics of, That was a great price on a nice piece. Get those guys to start churning out that stuff for E30s and I'll be there. I wanted a hood,,, I emailed about the first GB months ago when it came up, no response,, then called them,,, I actually tried calling them again last week to see if they had any hoods left, no answer (sometime between 9-5 with no answering machine) but customer service does not seem to be their strong suit.

If anyone who knows them, and they have any left, someone tell them I want one...

As to answer your question,,, "WHY" no US companies are doing good e30 parts, I really dont know,,, mainly because there is no real competition,,, as soon as someone starts making some great stuff at decent pricing, maybe then the others will step up as well or others will jump in.
                It all stems from competition (or lack thereof) is my opinion.

Cheers
                jimmy p.
                3 x e30 M3s,,, with assorted CF bits from alot of different vendors...
                Some great,,, some not so great.
                jimmy p.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

i REALLY didnt want to say much about what VIS has planned, but im working with them to build a E3 wing, trunk lid, fenders, and some other parts track guys like to have. Tuesday the prototype wing begins and from there we will see what else to build. stay tunned. i hope im not taking away from Alex, and his ventures. just trying to give us a much bigger market for parts.
                  "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan

Comment

I don't think everyone has 4 years to wait for a hood Mrsha :nahnah:

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007
                      i REALLY didnt want to say much about what VIS has planned, but im working with them to build a E3 wing, trunk lid, fenders, and some other parts track guys like to have. Tuesday the prototype wing begins and from there we will see what else to build. stay tunned. i hope im not taking away from Alex, and his ventures. just trying to give us a much bigger market for parts.
                      Originally posted by mrsha007
                      Thats the key, competition.
                      If someone can start selling decent parts,,, it will foster better products at even better prices.

For very long there has really only been one vendor for E30 composite parts Fiberartz.

Get two (or three) composite companies going, that do not rely soley on making money off the BMW guys,,, just a general composite body company that "has" e30 parts. Guys that are already tooled up to produce body parts, then all they have to do is make the E30 molds and churn it out like it was an integra fender.

FWIW, I think the market is glutted with decent e3 wing knockoffs, the cool stuff is the e3 fenders, LTW bumpers, splitters, trunk, hoods, side skirts, etc.
                      A louvered hood (ala PTG type hood) and aa sunroof panel would rock.

Good discussion though.
                      Mr Sha": Do you know if VIS have any more of those hoods left???

Cheers
                      jimmy p.
                      jimmy p.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
                      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
                      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Jimmy - From what I understand is that Mariano and I got the last E30 hoods that VIS made for that group buy

they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
                          Jimmy - From what I understand is that Mariano and I got the last E30 hoods that VIS made for that group buy
                          actually, i got the last one for barry, but its not at VIS.

Comment

I knew Barry wasnt going to be able to resist once he saw it in person.:burn:

Comment

Originally posted by CleanAzzE30z
                              I knew Barry wasnt going to be able to resist once he saw it in person.:burn:
                              haha, I know he has been secretly wanting one for a while :p come on barry let it be known to everybody:jedi:

they are not idiots.

Comment

Working...
                              X