Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogue vs. UUC Shifter

Hi Everyone,

I bought my car with a short shifter installed (have no idea what kind). I like the length of throws, but my shifter is horribly notchy and has a terrible buzz at 80 MPH. Would like to keep the short throws but make it smooth as stock and w/o buzz. My transmission mounts and flex disc are in good shape. Putting redline oil in this week.

Which shifter is best? Which better gets rid of the buzz? I know there has been some discussion of this in the past, but any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Joe
    2000 Porsche Boxster S - Daily Driver
    1995 Porsche 993
    2001 BMW 530iA Sport (hers)
    2004 Ford F-150 FX4
    2005 KTM 450EXC (More fun than all of the above)

Gone:

1988 BMW M3 2.5 EVOIII Replica
    1985 BMW M635CSI
    2001 BMW M3
    1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

I'm using the UUC with the bearing upgrade and the harder bushing kit.. it doesn't buzz but it's very notchy.
    Chris
    90 Corrado/91 M3/01 M5

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of. I really hate the notchiness more than anything else. Rogue claims the weighted shift arm lessens the notchiness. Anyone know for sure????
      1995 Porsche 993
      2004 Ford F-150 FX4

Gone:

1985 BMW M635CSI
      2001 BMW M3
      1988 BMW 325is (E30 M3 springs, steering, Konis, etc) - my favorite BMW - missed.

Comment

shifter buzz and weights

The shifter buzz is usually the base of the shift knob cracking and vibrating. Well, for me it was -- twice.

As for shift weights, they do make the shift smoother, possibly at the expense of synchro life I'm told (but who knows?). I haven't tried a weight, but I machined my own shift knob out of brass to try, and it works quite well. It makes it a little less notchy and smoother because of the momentum. I was warned about the adverse effects it could have, though. But it's been a while and it seems fine. It does make the shifter in the other M3 feel really weird though in comparison.

JP

88 M3 - 04 LS430 - 03 SL500 - 95 E320 - 70 Mini Cooper
        RC Wheels by Team Pogi

like us on facebook

Comment

Re: Rogue vs. UUC Shifter

Originally posted by jmarch
          Hi Everyone,

I bought my car with a short shifter installed (have no idea what kind). I like the length of throws, but my shifter is horribly notchy and has a terrible buzz at 80 MPH. Would like to keep the short throws but make it smooth as stock and w/o buzz. My transmission mounts and flex disc are in good shape. Putting redline oil in this week.

Which shifter is best? Which better gets rid of the buzz? I know there has been some discussion of this in the past, but any help would really be appreciated.

Thanks,
          Joe
          Joe,
          I think you are looking for the holy grail of M3 shifters. I have personally played with several shifter combos in search of similar things. Unfortunately, shifter buzz is one of those M3 things you love to hate. For the most part, the shift buzz is caused by the mighty s14. Everyone who has the buzz gets it at around 4000 rpm or about 80 mph. I have personally replaced my shifter with a UUC shifter, delron bushings, ball bearings, new knuckle, pins, shift cup, guibo, tranny mounts etc..., but I still have the buzz. Others have tried to rid their cars, but to no avail. I do believe that the UUC solid shift rod makes things a little worse since its not isolated with rubber like the stock unit. You do however get a great silky smooth shift and positive feel as a tradeoff. Yea its a little notchy, but IMO Id rather that than not knowing 100% where the gear is.

Good luck

Comment

I would say get the Rogue. SInce Ben was with UUC (once upon a time) and now Rogue, he has upgraded/perfected his previous version. I have no afiliation with either company, but I have tried both and I liked the Rogue Complete kit. It had the weighted selector rod and the whole kibootle.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

I have played with and installed many a short shift.

There are so many options and they all cost some $$.

I think the best so far is the UUC TOTAL kit new shifter, new bushings and that selector rod knuckle, then get the Rogue weighted selector, that has everything in there.

I have the UUC kit with cartridge bearings, delrin bushings, and all new parts, I also got a new shifter, no buzz, a tad of knotchyness, overall I am very happy and will not change a thing.

Do not click
              At least it's German

Comment

I have the UUC shifter, cartridge bearings, Rogue WSR, delrin bushings, and a new selector rod knuckle thing.
                It buzzes a tiny bit over 80mph, but it's barely noticeable. The shifter got A LOT notchier when I put in the delrin bushings,
                I'm thinking of just going back to stock carrier bushings..
                -Han

Comment

I have the complete Rogue Engineering kits on my car with the weighted selector rod. I have had it on my car since March 2002 and not a problem yet. It's seen about 10,000 miles since then and the shifter is tight, precise, and very positive. For my money I would do it again any day of the week.

Comment

Rogue

TWO THUMBS UP FOR ROGUE w/ WSR

I love it. The WSR helps out a lot. The shifting is awesome compared to stock.

My theory: When someone asks what are the 2 best "bang fo the buck upgrades" on the E30 M3-

#1 JC chip
                    #2 Rogue short shifter w/ WSR

Don McAdams
                    1988 E30 M3
                    "E30 M3 Owner & Enthusiast"

www.McAdamsAutoSport.com

Comment

Thanks for all your input!!!! I'm leaning heavily toward the Rogue.
                      One last important question:
                      Is the rogue much notchier that stock?????
                      1995 Porsche 993
                      2004 Ford F-150 FX4

Gone:

1985 BMW M635CSI
                      2001 BMW M3

Comment

After reading all this. Good to know that not only my shifter buzz. So where is a good place to get Rogue shifter with WSR and do I need any burshing upgrade? And how much are they?
                        Thanks.

Kin

Comment

I have the UUC shifter at max height, delrin bushings, cartridge bearings, and all the little replacement stock parts (Turner now sells it as a little kit http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...%20KIT%20E30M3) and I have no shifter buzz. I am running the Aluminum RKIII UUC shift knob, and it is PERFECT! There is a tiny bit of notchyness to let you know the gears, but the shifting is perfect. I can't stand any other car.
                          Bryan K.
                          Texas A&M Formula SAE

Comment

Working...
                          X