Grinding Noise on Drive Train

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Noise on Drive Train

Posted this earlier on the wrong category, sorry.

The noise occurs when I make left or right turns only. I have already changed both rear wheel bearings. I suspect the spider gear or the diff. is low on oil, is there any other thing to check? Also, I want to know if my car is fitted with Limited Slip Differential. Its a US version 1988 model. What is the proper grade of gear oil for use or to top up the diff. Would appreciate your suggestion.

Thanks,

audibm

If it occurs while turning then I would suspect your FRONT wheel bearings. Grab a hold of them and turn them left and right. If there's play then you proably need front bearings. Get the 528 bearings and use your old abs ring.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

It's not the diff....

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

My car front wheel bearing hub assy are new as well, I hear the noise is coming from the rear and it sounds like when you pronounce this (kruggg... krugggg. kruugg)No sound on staights.

audibm

Comment

Originally posted by Magnus
          If it occurs while turning then I would suspect your FRONT wheel bearings. Grab a hold of them and turn them left and right. If there's play then you proably need front bearings. Get the 528 bearings and use your old abs ring.
          what's the part # on these 528 wheel bearings you speak of? mine have no play now, but bearings can never be too smooth! are they a little cheaper than the ones sold for our cars? i hope so.

Comment

The BMW price for a bearing is $265 + A % series is under $100. I'll get part #'s after work.

Comment

Working...
            X