• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • /\/\ III
    Registered
    • 12, 5, 2006

Can't get car to start...looking for suggestions

i replaced the crank sensors which was the problem, but now car won't start. Electric is running to ignition, car turns overs, but doesn't, you guessed it, start. any suggestions. i also checked the fuse box.

thanks.

/\/\ III
  • ADA///M
    White Chocolate
    • 20, 12, 2002

check for spark/fuel.

Comment

• Eric Giles
      Registered
      • 11, 4, 2003

Check/replace main and fuel pump relays.
      Eric Giles
      '07 X5 4.8i
      '01 325i
      sigpic

Comment

• M3 Mitch
        Registered
        • 5, 10, 2004

Look in the FAQ on no-start. Did the car run before you replaced the crank sensor? I remember something about a pair of crank sensors that can be plugged into a pair of sockets, they will plug in correctly (car runs) or backwards, each to the other's plug (car does not run) (assuming this is not the issue)

First of all, check for a spark when you are cranking the car. It may be easier to check this at the coil wire due to the spark plug connectors on the S14. Or you can use a timing light if you have one around.

If you have no spark, you won't have a tach signal, therefore the fuel pump relay won't engage, so you will also not have any fuel pressure. But this is normal, only go on to check for fuel once you know you have spark.

Note, these cars are easy to flood. If you flood it good, no way will it start, although you will have spark, fuel, and compression. Flooding can be cleared by setting the code on the OBC, then crank the car - the code disables fuel.

Try that and call me in the morning if the problem persists.

Comment

• /\/\ III
          Registered
          • 12, 5, 2006

I definetly have spark at the coil, I will check fuel lines...by the way, mitch what is your number...

Thanks Yall...Blessings

Comment

• M drei 88
            Registered
            • 8, 9, 2005

Originally posted by M3 Mitch

Note, these cars are easy to flood. If you flood it good, no way will it start, although you will have spark, fuel, and compression. Flooding can be cleared by setting the code on the OBC, then crank the car - the code disables fuel.

Try that and call me in the morning if the problem persists.
            I'm having the same issue, so I,m bringing this thread back.when trying to start, it will crank, I smell the gas, but car won't turn. how do I set the code on the OBC???
            Dan

12/87 Zinnoberrot
            3/87 Henna

Comment

• /\/\ III
              Registered
              • 12, 5, 2006

my problem ending up being the flyweel was damaged and the flywheel pin needed replacement. the flywheel damaged the crank sensors which were also replace.

the car works like a charm now...

Comment

• M3 Mitch
                Registered
                • 5, 10, 2004

Sorry to be so slow to respond, work load has been heavy lately!

There is no specific code to set, take a look in the owner's manual, IIRC you push the Code button on the OBC, then enter a code, 4 digits I think, write it down or remember it, then (I think) cycle the key over to full "off", then try to crank the car WITHOUT entering the code - this I think disables the fuel pump, but in any case it allows you to crank the car normally without injecting any fuel.

Don't go by my memory, look at your owner's manual, the procedure is in there.

Or, just pull the fuel pump relay.

Glad your car started.

Comment

• M drei 88
                  Registered
                  • 8, 9, 2005

Thanks Mitch. I pulled the relay, checked the sensors, and they're all good. I'll do the OBC reset and see if that changes things.
                  Dan

12/87 Zinnoberrot
                  3/87 Henna

Comment

Working...
                  X