New radiator. Now running hot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New radiator. Now running hot?

Ok, I just put in a new radiator, and now my m3 is running hot. It looks like there is a leak from my thermostat housing--coming from that seam in the middle. Will I need a new thermostat, or is there a way to just buy the housing for it?

The housing and the T-Stat are one unit so you will need another one.

Jordan
    "Never lift"

Comment

another thing

another point that should be made is my top hose running to my radiator is getting hot as hell, and fast...almost like the coolant isn't getting through the radiator. it's a new radiator, so flow shouldn't be a problem. could it be a pumping problem, or is it possible the leak at the thermostat is causing a pressure loss that's keeping the coolant trapped in that hose?

Comment

p.s., thanks jordan. i'll order the part. anyone know the cheapest place? i saw autohausaz has them for about $85.

Comment

re-bleed the system. make sure its also circulating through the heater core so there are no air bubbles in there too.
          Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

will do. well actually i'll have to. i gotta replace the thermostat :(. i just hope i don't have to replace the water pump too.

Comment

just wondering. is there a different t/stat for that we can use... does anyone run something other than the stock 80 C one?

Comment

Originally posted by m3ubbs
                just wondering. is there a different t/stat for that we can use... does anyone run something other than the stock 80 C one?
                No offense intended.......please just replace that thermostat with the factory part....this is the cooling of your (very expensive to fix) s14 engine that we are talking about. While you are at it, you may want to consider the age / use of your hoses........they are not that expensive and will give you some preventative maintenance peace of mind. This is one area of the s14 that I am an absolute stalwart about when it comes to not dicking with it.

Sorry if that sounds a bit strong but really, the cost of doing this correctly here far outweighs the cost for inconvenience and cost of being towed, or worse still, a warped head.

Take care

Comment

Sounds like the tstat is not opening. Is the lower hose warm? You can check flow by looking into the coolant tank and see if water is steaming into the tank. Water flows into the rad from the upper hose and out the rad through the lower hose.

And yes, use the factory tstat.

Jordan
                  "Never lift"

Comment

no offense taken. i didn't know if there were people running lower temp t-stats or not. about the hoses. i am going to replace the ones running to and from the radiator. lower hose isn't as warm no. i ordered the tstat from autohausaz. hopefully that alleviates the problem.

Comment

Are you sure you installed the T-stat in correct direction? Reverse the T-stat will result in overheat quickly. Just checking.
                      Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                      Born date 01/88
                      Ryan

Comment

No, i haven't put a new t-stat in. the one i currently have is leaking from the seam in the middle of the housing, so it must be replaced. i'm guessing the functionality of the thermostat itself has been compromised somehow too. thanks though, will be sure to install the new one correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by m3ubbs
                          no offense taken. i didn't know if there were people running lower temp t-stats or not. about the hoses. i am going to replace the ones running to and from the radiator. lower hose isn't as warm no. i ordered the tstat from autohausaz. hopefully that alleviates the problem.
                          I thought there was a low temp. thermostat w/ aluminum housing available as well... not to mess with the OEM, but there have been significant progresses in technology since the OEM stuff was produced... just my .02 inquiring minds want to know.
                          Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman
                            I thought there was a low temp. thermostat w/ aluminum housing available as well... not to mess with the OEM, but there have been significant progresses in technology since the OEM stuff was produced... just my .02 inquiring minds want to know.
                            this isn't an e36 m3. there is no thermostat housing to buy separately, it is a one piece unit and it is already a mild steel.

Comment

Originally posted by 1990m3
                              this isn't an e36 m3. there is no thermostat housing to buy separately, it is a one piece unit and it is already a mild steel.
                              Man I could swear my housing is black plastic, I know the thermo is inside... I didn't mean to imply they were separate from each other.
                              Rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X