s14 tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• s14 tuning

As far as adjustments go on the s14 what should I be doing. I am planning on taking my m3 to a mechanic about a week from now and want to know what adjustments are made on the s14. I have done all the basic maintance oil change, fuel filter, air filter, sparkplugs and so on. Need the car fine tuned before the upcoming club event in Oregon.

Do the valves, then after then set the Throttle bodies, then do base idle and CO. That's about it after general stuff.

Do not click
    At least it's German

Comment

what exactly is base Idle and CO adjustments? when I asked my service manager he gave me the "look" (he is president of the local SCCA chapter, has every generation corvette in his 10 car garage, including a 54, so the guy is no dummy with cars)

Everybody always says you need to adjust them, but what are the adjustments?

Karl Kraus --Education is a crutch with which the foolish attack the wise to prove that
      they are not idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric
        what exactly is base Idle and CO adjustments? when I asked my service manager he gave me the "look" (he is president of the local SCCA chapter, has every generation corvette in his 10 car garage, including a 54, so the guy is no dummy with cars)

Everybody always says you need to adjust them, but what are the adjustments?
        He must still be living in carburator land !

The base CO is set on the airmeter under the black plug and the base idle is set with the big flathead screw near the center of the throttle bodies.

The base idle sets the general idle speed while the Idle Air Valve automatically fine tunes from there.

The CO adjustment is used to adjust the amount of carbon oxides present in the exhaust. You need a 4 gas analyser to do this properly.

Comment

what can I expect to pay on average for a vavle adjustment? Also how much does it generally cost to have the CO and base idle adjusted. I dont want to take it to the mechanic and have them tune it then tell me its going to cost a fortune.

Comment

Valve adjustment: $120-150
            This is a base since you may want to replace your gaskets on the valve cover. Those can cost ya about $100-$150 depending on how much your shop reams you.
            CO adjustment: Never had it done, maybe 1 hours labor, no parts

You can rent a valve adjustment tool from Koala motorsports and do it yourself. There are many articles on the web as to how to do this. Its a very easy process and probably one that all S14 owners should know how to do since they are a regular thing with these motors. Just remember to buy Volvo shims instead of the BMW ones. BMW shims are like $15 where as Volvo shims are around $3 for nearly the same part.

Comment

Originally posted by wookie1976
              You can rent a valve adjustment tool from Koala motorsports and do it yourself. There are many articles on the web as to how to do this. Its a very easy process and probably one that all S14 owners should know how to do since they are a regular thing with these motors. Just remember to buy Volvo shims instead of the BMW ones. BMW shims are like $15 where as Volvo shims are around $3 for nearly the same part.
              Cost is hard, due to cost of shims and amount, you pay for any new ones.

IMHO< the volvo ones are BAD< they are not rounded on the corners, that makes then a TOTAL PITA to get them back out. But yes, they are a ton cheaper.

Do not click
              At least it's German

Comment

i need to get all of this stuff done. ill do the easy stuff myself, but will need shop to adjust valves. few questions.

its been about 7k since last valve adjust. is it too early?
                how often are sparkplugs usually replaced again?

and this last one just for fun.... I am going to buy the schrick cam kit that motorsportsimports is selling some time soon. it includes the 284/276 schricks, motorsports valvesprings, larger valves, titanium retainers. could any of this be easily installed while the valves are adjusted? say maybe everything but the cams. i have the impression cams arent just dropin and go.

thanks

Comment

Valve adjusting as per BMW is during each major inspection, which is approx every 25,000 miles. Auto-x'ers do it more frequently.

Everytime you swap-out cams you'll need a valve adjustment, so having it done while your mods are dropped in would be best. If it's done to standards shown in the SIG archives you can tweak-out an addtional 2hp in your upper rpm range. You'll have to ask the pro's about any other unmentioned items that weren't actually mentioned while acheiving the extra hp.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Noooooo...not quite. If you want to install the Motorsport Imports kit with Schrick cams/big valves/and new springs, this is major work. You would have to pull the head off the block, and get the seats cut for the larger valves. Basically it would amount to a complete top end rebuild.

You "could" just drop in the Schrick cams. But, in my opinon you need to check piston/valve clearance just to be safe, which would mean pulling the head again.

For those of you running the Schrick cams, how do you replace the valve shims on the #1 cylinder? I just noticed the Schricks have the flattened areas between the lobs so the cam can be turned over with a wrench. I don't think my valve depressing tool will work there.....

Comment

Working...
                    X