Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got my M3

Hi guys,
    First of all I have to say that I love this site. This is my first post but I'm here every day reading and learning about the e30 M3.
    I bought my 88 M3 last summer but was unable to register it and drive it because of a problem with the title. It took me 13 months to register it due to the NJ DMV being jerks.
    I have a question that you guys might be able to help me out. When I drive this baby the temp is fine but when I hit bad traffic the temp heads past the middle. I never let it get to the red by moving out of there. My mechanic told me the fan clutch is fine and everything else seems ok. My mechanic is a good friend and he works mostly on BMWs but not too many e30 m3. What do you guys think I should tell him to check? I'm going there tomorrow to see if we can figure it out. Thanks in advance.

Chris

1989 Evil_///M3
    1991 Evil_///M5

Id start with checking the electric fan for proper operation, replacing the thermostat and flushing the radiator. The wiring for the secondary fan is prone to breaking.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'll have him check it out tomorrow. I forgot have to mention that the secondary fan never turns on so we checked it out and the wires have been cut. I was told that the aux fan works when the air conditioner is on. Well we will find out tomorrow. Thanks again and take care.

Chris

1989 Evil_///M3
      1991 Evil_///M5

Comment

?d?,eLworked out!

I would not drive it unless you get the Aux fan working, it's way to hot to chance it. Try and reconnect the wires, if that doesn't work try a new Aux fan resistor (around $16<).

Are you still going to the Edgewater meets?

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Thanks for the tip. The wires have been cut too close to the resistor so we can't reconnect them. I was going to buyt a new resistor and flush the radiator today but my mechanic was not there so I guess we'll do it next week.
          As for the Edgewater meets, I passed by last Friday night and on my way there on River road I was following a red Z8. When I got to the area around the Starbucks I only saw Acuras and Hondas so I did not stick around (I have nothing against them but it's not my scene). We should get some guys out there before the summer ends. I would love to see that cabrio that you shot by the Outback. Good luck to you and great job on the site.

Chris

1989 Evil_///M3
          1991 Evil_///M5

Comment

Before you start replacing things, make sure he double-checks your water temperature with a manual thermometer. It's possible you're water temp is just fine. The temperature sender sometimes fails on these cars, making it appear as though the car is running hot. I had the same problem, $30 later for a new sending unit and my guage rarely moves beyond center.

Comment

Working...
            X