Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just installed urethane motor mounts

All I can say is: wow!!!

Out of the box, the bright yellow motor mounts from Ireland Engineering measure 5/8" shorter. Compressed, they should lower the motor by 1/4". It took only one hour to install them. Then, the test drive. The car feels more planted without the motor moving around. Is it a placebo effect or the engine sitting lower? Perhaps. Nonentheless, there are no extra vibration, except that smooth feel of every piston going up and down. It is more a purr than a vibe. Great stuff for S14 lovers. It feels so good, so connected to the engine without feeling annoying.

Overall and after only a 30 minute drive, it is very satisfactory improvement over the rubber mounts.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Nice summary Lee, too bad I already have new stock mounts in as I would have considered these after that testimony.

Ash

Sold...

Comment

Lee,

Sounds very good. What are you using for transmission mounts?
      Petro

Comment

Originally posted by petro
        Lee,

Sounds very good. What are you using for transmission mounts?
        I use e24 tranny mounts. They are stiffer than M3 mounts but filter vibrations.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

Good news. I wanted to use the IE mounts but was concerned because something about their gemetry, I forget. I didn't want to use the 750 mounts which I bought because I didn't want to move the motor down AND back or sideways. Can you give a quick rundown of how you changed them? I thought it was an involved process...
          "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

How to change motormounts
            Should take less than one hour, even for noobs.

Raise the front of the car, and secure it with jackstands under the frame rails. Use a pair of 2 x 4 to avoid damaging the frame rails. Use the floor jack to slightly lift the engine (from under the oil pan) by about an inch, no more. You should use a piece of wood between the floor jack and the oilpan to avoid scratching it.

Let's start by the passenger side.
            Use a 17mm socket and an extension to undo the mount's bottom nut. Undo the four 13mm bolts that attach the aluminum bracket to the block. Slide the assembly out from underneath. It is time to check for any oil leak or perhaps even clean the side of the block (I use wd-40 and a brush). With the motormount assembly out of the car, remove the three 10mm bolts that attach the heat shield to the bracket. Using the 17mm socket, undo the upper nut. Install the urethane mount, and proceed in reverse for this side of the car.

And now for the driver side.
            On this side, you will need to remove the rubber intake below and possibly the oil filter. First, undo the mount's bottom nut and the four 13mm bolts that attach the alloy bracket to the block. The 13mm lower left bolt is not easily accessible with the oil filter in position. Remove the motor mount assembly from the top, this time. Swap the urethane mount but leave the upper nut, loose. Especially if you have those subframe reinforcement gussets that do not leave much place to insert a socket from underneath. Reinstall the bracket, properly torque the four 13mm bolts onto the block, and install the lower nut. By leaving the upper nut loose, it may be easier to wiggle the urethane mount until you can easily install/torque the lower nut. Lower the engine and fasten the mount's upper nut using two extensions and possibly a swivel. Lower the engine. There should be ample clearance between the engine and the subframe/steering rack.

It is time to go for a test drive.
            The engine will seem more present, but not because of vibrations, more from a lower frequency emanating from every piston going up and down. The engine sounds a bit like it has a carbon fiber airbox.
            Last edited by LeeVuong; 07-04-2006, 08:40 PM.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
            1989 M3 racecar
            e39 Touring

Comment

Thanks! great writeup for the archives
              "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

Plus, you saved $ 100 bucks!

Comment

Great write-up Lee! Thanks for the accurate description of how-to, I'm storing it for my own use later on.

:OMG:

random musings

Comment

I have IE motor mounts and have been nothing but impressed with them!

www.Sports-car-restoration.com

Comment

Originally posted by needle332rur
                      I have IE motor mounts and have been nothing but impressed with them!
                      I don't know how y ou guys do it, these things translate any and all road hazzards into the cabin.
                      Rich!

Comment

so the engine is a road hazzard now?

Thinking of subframe bushings?:p
                        -Eric

Comment

Originally posted by ///schwartzman
                          I don't know how y ou guys do it, these things translate any and all road hazzards into the cabin.
                          There must be something touching the shell. Perhaps the tranny mount have been twisted, or the exhaust is touching. On my car, let's say that I feel the motor a bit more, but nothing major. Just a deep and soothing vibration. It was a great mod.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                            There must be something touching the shell. Perhaps the tranny mount have been twisted, or the exhaust is touching. On my car, let's say that I feel the motor a bit more, but nothing major. Just a deep and soothing vibration. It was a great mod.

Any update on these, after some time driving around on the IE urethane mounts?

Would you do it again, given the choice?
                            Motorsport 16v

Comment

I went with stock tranny mounts reinforced with silicone and IE motor mounts and it was indeed better... I think both IE tranny and motor mounts was overkill for the street on a smooth track I could imagine it would be fine.
                              Rich!

Comment

Working...
                              X