Urethane motor mount needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urethane motor mount needed.

So, he is how it goes. two days before the BAB VIII event I do my self-tech on the M3 to realize that the driverside motormount (only 6 weeks old) has delaminated. The upper cup is not touching the urethane block anymore.

Called Ireland Engineering and they said they can't help as they do not have them in stock and would not ship overnight anyway if they had a spare. Thanks Jeff.

Would any of you who is attending BABVIII in LCMT has one he can bring to the track?

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Strange. Why wouldn't he ship out next day if you were willing to pay?

Hope you make out!

Comment

I can't help, but I can tell you I also get pissed off everytime I talk to anyone at Ireland.

My condolences.

Comment

You got measurements or a DXF? I can make you delrin or UHWM mounts tonight, and ship them tomorrow.

Lol then you can tell me how good the mount is and continue getting more
        Last edited by ///MCon; 08-09-2006, 01:16 PM.
        Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Comment

Okay guys. Things have settled, for a happy ending. Being the happy owner of a 2002 racecar, I removed the urethane driver side motor mount from the racecar and compared it to the M3 urethane mount. The 2002 motor mount is half an inch shorter, but beefier. I tried it and it fits in the M3. So, I machined two 1/4inch spacers from aluminum stock and put one at each end of the 2002 motor mount. It fits nicely the M3 and now has the same height. So I'm okay to attend BAB VIII and leave tomorrow at noon as expected.

Nonetheless, I still have a bad aftertaste after my conversation with Ireland. They did not try to help, just made me understand they were not responsible for any damage that can occure to the car, and that perhaps they will have some motor mounts made in a few days, and then will ship one, but certainly not in a rush. They said they will look around if they may have a spare. But who cares if they have a spare if they do not ship it overnight.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

Have a great time Lee. Glad to hear you got it sorted. Sorry I wont be making it up there.

Say hi to Jeff & Suzin for me if you see them.

best,
            Chris Langsten
            Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

I'm always in the mood for a good boycott.
              www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

Man, I don't get why they are the way they are. Everytime I decide to buy something from them I hear stuff like this. I actually sent them an email last week about something and never heard anything back. I guess I shouldn't be surprised......

Comment

I wouldn't go that far. Lets just say that I did not feel they support their products and clients. There are other suppliers and my money will make itself heard. Buying is voting.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

I ordered some brake products, waited a week with nothing, the order never even got processed. Cancelled the order, went to BavAuto, payed a little bit more, shipped to my door next day.
                    Gone but not forgotten 1988 E30 M3 - Current ride Mazdaspeed 6

Comment

I ordered a strut bar (unfinished) and it showed at my door 5 business days later in perfect shape. Guess I got lucky.

Comment

I've had good luck with them.

Jake

Comment

Hi Lee,

Would it be possible to see a pic of how your motor mount split (delaminated)? I'm curious how their mount is made.

Thanks,
                          Jake

Comment

I will make a picture as soon as I receive the replacement one. As of now, the bad mount is in my stored 2002 as I toook the 2002 mount to put in my car. I personally that the way those mounts are made is a very bad design. A bolt goes thru a car, on each side, and in the middle there is a round section of urethane. The car as only kinda glued to the urethane. There is no metal portruding in the urethane to keep them together.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                            1989 M3 racecar
                            e39 Touring

Comment

Oh wow. Well that makes sense. I've been toying with a few ideas lately for a new motor mount and I was just curious how they made theirs. I kinda figured that's how they were doing it. I'm looking at something that would not require any bonding and would allow different durometer doughnuts to be used. There would be two urethane doughnuts and no matter whether it was pushing or pulling, one doughnut would be in compression. So no pulling a mount in half, it simply wouldn't be possible. Its a long way in the making so don't anybody hold their breath.

Cheers,
                              Jake

Comment

Working...
                              X