Urethane motor mount needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those look alot like the ones I made.
    The ones in Lee's photo looked like the early one I held in my hand at Don Fields shop.
    Those looked like they were designed to fail.
    The only thing holding the studded caps on the urethane was the adhesion of the urethane to the underside of the cap (as Lee found out).

DC,,, on your newer versions does the stud go all the way through,,, or is it two separate studded plates / cups moulded into the urethane?

My mistake was using a single stud go all the way through, as opposed to the two separate studded pieces,,, before I could make a v2, I just went solid and said the heck with V2.

What would happen was the pillow would compress, but the stud would not, so then as it transitioned from tension / then back to compression it hammers the crap out of the pillow.

Cheers
    jimmy
    jimmy p.
    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
    92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
    98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
    04 Ford F350 - V10

Comment

Before buying Ireland's motor mounts, I ordered the ones from AKG. When I discovered that they were one threaded rod and a blob of urethane in the middle, I returned them. I felt it was not a good design and that each end most be isolated from the other thru urethane.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
      1989 M3 racecar
      e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy p.
        Those look alot like the ones I made.
        The ones in Lee's photo looked like the early one I held in my hand at Don Fields shop.
        Those looked like they were designed to fail.
        The only thing holding the studded caps on the urethane was the adhesion of the urethane to the underside of the cap (as Lee found out).

DC,,, on your newer versions does the stud go all the way through,,, or is it two separate studded plates / cups moulded into the urethane?

Cheers
        jimmy
        JP - *many* apologies for not replying to your question early...

I most certainly haven't cut one in half to know for sure, but I'm 99.9% certain that there is a cup with a stud at each end of the mount, as opposed to a stud that runs the entire length.

As I've said in the past, I'm happy with these mounts (installed in conjuction with the E24 tranny mounts) but given Lee's experience with the early design, I'll be keeping an eye on them for signs of fatigue. To me, fully encapsulating the cups/studs in the urethane will strengthen the mount, but if I were designing my own I'd still do more to anchor the cups. Time (and miles) will tell...

HTH,
        -Dietrich

Comment

Update on these? Are the IE's worth the trouble of having to deal w/ IE?
          Motorsport 16v

Comment

I had no trouble dealing with IE
            "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

I am a dealer with IE... I find more porblems dealing with Jeff over any of the other guys... Just my 2 cents...on the issue.

Kevin

Comment

I have great respect for Jeff and Jeremy, which I have known, and dealt with, for at least a decade. Overall they still do a great job. I suppose they offer a superb service when buying at the counter. Mail order may be a different thing. They still are much better than some other ventures.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

Working...
                X