DTM Shifter Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DTM Shifter Installation

For those of you who have mounted the DTM shifters in your car, which way did you mount the magnesium bracket that holds the shift lever? One end has 2 bolt slots, the other has one. When looking at Jake's pictures of real DTM cars, that bracket is mounted with the 2 bolt side facing aft. When I look at pictures that were posted during the group buy, that bracket was mounted with the 2 bolt side facing forward. The hole where the shifter pivot ball is located is machined at an angle, so it makes a difference.

Thanks,
    Robert

I followed the GB pics, I guess I wasn't as thorough in my research as you:OMG:
    I totally forgot about Jakes DTM pics.

That said, I mounted mine that way and it has worked flawlessly for two race weekends. I have no reason to doubt that it is working fine based on my experience so far. Oh yeah, and I love it. What a great feeling shifter.

Cheers,

Will
    Speed, as Iíve said many times before, makes you cleverer.

-Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

didn't feel it was worth starting a new thread for this, so quick question. can you install any knob you want on the dtm shifter? i just don't like the white ball look.
      ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

The lever is just a threaded shaft, so you can either install any knob that has the same thread on the inside, or you can rig something up with an aftermarket knob. BMW knobs are a press fit and most aftermarket knobs like Momo, etc use set screws.
        You could try it though.
        Speed, as Iíve said many times before, makes you cleverer.

-Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

After looking at all the DTM pictures, I went back and did some more investigation on the car. When you mount the bracket with the two holes facing forward, it biases the shifter towards the dash a bit, i.e. when you are in gears 1,3,5 (OD trans) the shifter leans toward the dash quite a bit. When you mount the bracket with the two holes facing aft, the shifter is almost vertical in those gears. This configuration gives shift lever positions more like the stock shifter. In the end, I mounted it with the 2 holes facing forward, like the DTM cars in the pictures. That puts the shifter in pretty much the stock position when going through the gears.

Also, since the bracket is slotted where the mounting bolts go, I can adjust mine about 1/4" forward and aft. This has the effect of changing the position of the shift knob since you are moving the pivot point. Basically, you can tweak the position of the shift knob a little bit forward and aft to your liking.

I haven't driven the car yet with it installed, but the feel is WAY better than the stock shifter. It's not vague at all and you can tell exactly what gear you are in. The feel is very mechanical and positive. There is a little bit of play in the mechanism, but not much.

The white shift knob screws on, so you can easily remove it. I don't know the thread pattern off hand, but you could easily screw another knob in its place. I'll look at it later and post the thread pattern.

Robert

Comment

My mechanic installed mine backwards............. and claimed that the design was flawed......... and that the 740i tranny mounts I put in furthered the problem as it pushed the tranny back. I told him to flip it around (after he had already drilled into my car) ............ and everything was fine. Went from a Code Red nuclear disaster to green pastures and butterflies with a simple flip. I figured it out myself. Some times it make you wonder about people................ and their abilites. I should have charged him a consultation fee and got a discount on my labour.

Comment

pic from a DTM 91 car

Markus

http://www.bmwm3shop.de

Comment

I installed mine on my Euro 3.2 swap. They way I would prefer to mount it the ears on the shifter rod was hitting the guibo and kicking the tranny out of 4th gear. I think I can grind down the ears on the shifter rod to correct that problem. I don't think the orientation of the plate really matters.

Comment

Bruce,

The orientation of the plate matters because the shifter pivot point isn't centered front to back on the plate. Mounting it one way or the other will have the effect of changing the position of the shift knob fore/aft. You can compensate for this to some extent by mounting the plate further back in the transmission tunnel, but if you move it too far back, the portion of the shift lever that sticks out below the plate can bottom out on the lower side of the plate at full throw. I tried all sorts of orientations before finally mounting it like in the pictures Markus just posted.

For those that are interested, the threads where the shift knob screws on are M14x1.5.

Robert

Comment

Some cool pics from the homologation papers.

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...n&pagenumber=5

Comment

Working...
                    X