Did some more dyno tuning / pulls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did some more dyno tuning / pulls

Here are the results... done back to back... the hotter she gets, the more power she makes...

A little better than before...

/// M3NTAL Kev

Wow, those lines look good, you're making some great torque down low. I don't know your car, what do you have for mods?

Comment

Originally posted by dig-design
      Wow, those lines look good, you're making some great torque down low. I don't know your car, what do you have for mods?
      Nothing. Well nothing in the engine.

Click here for specs.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Torque curve looks stout.

So what were your baseline pulls when she was stock?

What does a stock S14 typically put down?

Why did you go to the Haltech?
        Alex McHenry

Comment

Originally posted by AlexMc
          Torque curve looks stout.

So what were your baseline pulls when she was stock?
          I dunno. I ran out of time and didn't get to the baseline. In retrospect, I wish I had.

Originally posted by AlexMc
          What does a stock S14 typically put down?

Why did you go to the Haltech?
          I'm not sure what a stock S14 puts down either. Man there is a lot I don't know.

I went with the HalTech over a piggy back unit because I wanted to have total control of the fuel and spark. I also wanted to keep my options open for boost, which I don't think I'm going to do now that the S14 can make a little more torque.

The HalTech vs. other ECUs... thats a tough one. Basically there is some HalTech expertise in the Toronto area and globally. That makes it a lot easier in case one runs into problems. The Haltech is also pretty easy to tune... like working a stereo EQ. It was also reasonably cheap and simple.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Stock M3's typically dyno 155-160rwhp, 165-175rwhp chipped from what I've seen.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
            85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
            91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

im not sure, but that seems kind of weak. i dont want to be rude or anything. i know my car is basicly stock too. but i want to hear your input on this. are you disapointed with those numbers? i thought you would make in the high 170's low 180's
              "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
              "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
              onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

M3NTAL Kev,

I was looking at your specs and saw that you were using OZ Superleggara's for the track. What offset are those, and do you need any spacers or is there any rubbing with those 235's?
                Boxy is foxy

1988 BMW E30 M3 2.5L
                1985 Renault R5 Turbo 2

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007
                  im not sure, but that seems kind of weak. i dont want to be rude or anything. i know my car is basicly stock too. but i want to hear your input on this. are you disapointed with those numbers? i thought you would make in the high 170's low 180's
                  I don't think you're being rude.

I'm neither pleased nor disappointed with the numbers. I would have loved another 10rwhp but I remind myself that the M3 has 125k miles on it and I've put close to 20k miles of track time on it. I'm the first to say that the engine is tired and worn.

What I can say is that even though the numbers are not eye catching, the M3 drives ten fold better than it used to. I'm pretty sure, hell I'm dead certain, that with a fresh top and bottom that I could make another 15-20rwhp. As it stands, the tuning requires a minimum 94 octane fuel. So, I think I've got what ever power is possible out of her. Based on the dyno data on s14.net, I'm on par with Tony's first run which was with SS MAF and the exhaust cam gear. The numbers are very similar. The problem is nobody else has their graphs and data on the site, so its hard to say what stock numbers are vs. modified S14s. So if you have dyno graphs, submit your data!

This is only the first step though. I'm planning to build a nice 2.5, and I'll be sharing the dyno graphs of that too. It's just a matter of time and money.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Originally posted by T2E30
                    M3NTAL Kev,

I was looking at your specs and saw that you were using OZ Superleggara's for the track. What offset are those, and do you need any spacers or is there any rubbing with those 235's?
                    Those are 17x8 ET40 using 18mm spacers. There was rubbing largely due to my ride height, but otherwise they fit nice. Also minor rubbing at full lock.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

I haven't been able to scan my dyno charts in yet, but for a near stock motor as reference, I dynoed my car in March.
                      My motor had about 130k on it, nothing rebuilt, with only a chip and an exhaust cam gear, and I pulled 173rhwp and 154 ft-lbs.
                      My curves look pretty similar to Kev's, although his torque curve is noticeably higher and flatter. That, and my peak hp was around 7, with detonation much after that.
                      For a near stock motor, I was very happy.

Will
                      Speed, as Ive said many times before, makes you cleverer.

-Jeremy Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by ROBM3
                        Kevin, isnt what you did alotta time and money, for very minimal gain ?

ps: are you using a chip with this system ? Mark Dasylva makes custom chips here in Toronto for any application.

oh, and you still have the catalytic converter on the M3? I hear without it, the car will gain soem horses....everything helps..
                        But I guess the 2.5 rebuild will be done before anything....

pss: Did Matt Gilbert sell his M3 ?
                        Yeah I guess it was a lot of work for minimal gain right now.

I don't need a chip because I don't have a factory computer. Mine is adjustable... even on the fly while driving.

The exhaust is free flowing enough for now.

Matt did sell his car and got an STi.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Originally posted by WillM3
                          I haven't been able to scan my dyno charts in yet, but for a near stock motor as reference, I dynoed my car in March.
                          My motor had about 130k on it, nothing rebuilt, with only a chip and an exhaust cam gear, and I pulled 173rhwp and 154 ft-lbs.
                          My curves look pretty similar to Kev's, although his torque curve is noticeably higher and flatter. That, and my peak hp was around 7, with detonation much after that.
                          For a near stock motor, I was very happy.

Will
                          I think those are excellent numbers.
                          Do you usually use 3rd or 4th gear for your pulls? I've been using 4th and I'm told that using 3rd will improve the numbers noticeably. Also, what kind of dyno did you use and was there any correction? I'm on a DynoJet.

I've been learning with the MCS scene that even dyno numbers can be manipulated. Having said that, I am not implying that you would do that.

I'm pretty happy with the results for now. As much as the stand alone engine management seems like a lot of money for little gain, it will pay back big time once I get around to building the engine.
                          So pay now, learn now, enjoy later.
                          Last edited by M3NTAL Kev; 09-05-2003, 02:26 PM.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL Kev
                            I don't think you're being rude.

I'm neither pleased nor disappointed with the numbers. I would have loved another 10rwhp but I remind myself that the M3 has 125k miles on it and I've put close to 20k miles of track time on it. I'm the first to say that the engine is tired and worn.

What I can say is that even though the numbers are not eye catching, the M3 drives ten fold better than it used to. I'm pretty sure, hell I'm dead certain, that with a fresh top and bottom that I could make another 15-20rwhp. As it stands, the tuning requires a minimum 94 octane fuel. So, I think I've got what ever power is possible out of her. Based on the dyno data on s14.net, I'm on par with Tony's first run which was with SS MAF and the exhaust cam gear. The numbers are very similar. The problem is nobody else has their graphs and data on the site, so its hard to say what stock numbers are vs. modified S14s. So if you have dyno graphs, submit your data!

This is only the first step though. I'm planning to build a nice 2.5, and I'll be sharing the dyno graphs of that too. It's just a matter of time and money.
                            yea, i see your point. when i finish my link i dont expect anything more then what you got. Tony, how about you post your numbers with the link and cams.
                            "Just road, seat, ASS; THE END!" - Jeremy Clarkson
                            "If you had a choice between a million dollars and world peace, what would you get for your E30 M3?" - ItsNotTheNissan
                            onfirelabs.com twitter.com/suga_shane

Comment

Originally posted by mrsha007
                              yea, i see your point. when i finish my link i dont expect anything more then what you got. Tony, how about you post your numbers with the link and cams.
                              Yeah, one has to be realistic. I had an M3 that was rough and not really well cared for, heck I bought it for the equivalent of $8.5k USD. It needs a full chassis build (dip'n'strip) and a nice 2.5 but that's going to set me back another $20k USD. So it will take some time but I'll get there. I mean time I'm gonna have some fun.

I don't really see a healthy stock motor putting out more than 185rwhp unless you start letting it breathe better. I'm just gald the numbers weren't down in the 150rwhp range; that would have been a kick in the nuts.

/// M3NTAL Kev

Comment

Working...
                              X