E28 front wheel bearing swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E28 front wheel bearing swap

I might tell an old story here but thought it would be worth sharing. Apologies if this is boring and has been covered elswhere. (didn't find any detailed information when searching)

To avoid the high cost of the M3 wheel bearing I have decided to use an E28 bearing and swap the ABS ring.

Picture 1: E28 bearing

Picture 2: pulling the ring off

Picture 3: E28 bearing with the ring removed

Picture 4: one I prepared earlier, M3 wheel bearing with the ring already removed

Picture 5: Lord of the Rings! Left the E28 ring, right the M3 ring. Note the step in the M3 ring. The M3 ring is much wider than the E28 ring and will not be knocked down to sit flush with the bearing. It will be flush with the step inside.

Picture 6: E28 wheel bearing with M3 ABS Ring in place.

Job done in less than 20mins and a small fortune saved!

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Thanks for pictures. Here's another writeup I found, and a source for the ABS rings should you need replacement rings.

ABS Ring/Bearing/Hub replacement
    Michael
    www.purems.com | Temecula, CA | 866-397-5487

Comment

Thanks Uwe!

I had a rough time using a 2 armed puller. Next time I pay for the 3rd arm.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

Yessir.
        That is pretty much what is done over here due to the high cost of the supposedly bespoke E30M3 hub/bearing assembly.

m

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark
            Yessir.
            That is pretty much what is done over here due to the high cost of the supposedly bespoke E30M3 hub/bearing assembly.

m
            I know that is was done many times. I just wanted to prove the point that it can be done at home with fairly cheapo tools to encourage others to have a go and save some bucks.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Uwe,
              Did you pound/tap the ABS ring in place or did you use a disc that fit the OD of the ABS ring and use the puller arms on the Outermost diameter of the hub to "push" the ring on? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ///Mflossin View Post
                Uwe,
                Did you pound/tap the ABS ring in place or did you use a disc that fit the OD of the ABS ring and use the puller arms on the Outermost diameter of the hub to "push" the ring on? Thanks!
                Use a Bench vise to press it on until it is flush.
                Then open the jaws of the vise until it is wide enough to match the diameter of the ABS ring, then gently tap the hub down to seat the ABS ring, rotating the assembly after each couple of taps. A brass hammer is very useful..

Make sure the depth of the ring matches its position on the old hub.

m

Comment

He, he. I did the exact same thing this weekend to a spare e28 hub that will find its way in the track spare parts bin.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                  1989 M3 racecar
                  e39 Touring

Comment

Thanks Uwe,
                    This was helpful as I had to replace one of my bearings a few weeks ago.

One mistake I made;
                    My hub was so far gone that the bearings had disintegrated, leaving behind a paste of grease and bearing dust. When I removed the hub the sleeve stayed behind, attached to the spindle. In the greasy mess I didn't realize that there was a dust cap at the back of the spindle and I mangled it with the puller when trying to remove the sleeve. #2 here

It took a little work to hammer the dust cap back into shape but it did go back on without a problem.

Also, people should note that #3 needs to be replaced when the bearing is replaced.
                    Last edited by Mick; 08-27-2007, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mmark View Post
                      Use a Bench vise to press it on until it is flush.
                      Then open the jaws of the vise until it is wide enough to match the diameter of the ABS ring, then gently tap the hub down to seat the ABS ring, rotating the assembly after each couple of taps. A brass hammer is very useful..

Make sure the depth of the ring matches its position on the old hub.

m

Mark,
                      Thanks. If I understand what you are saying....use the bench vice to "start" the ring onto the hub. After it has started (a few mm or so), remove from the vice, open the vice to accomodate the OD of the ring and lay the hub (ABS ring facing down) atop the vice jaws. Lightly tap with brass hammer, often rotating until the step in the ring matches the lip of the hub/bearing?

Comment

If engaging the hub into the ring is diffficult, simply put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. It will contract enough so it will slide much easier... Do the same when changing rear bearings.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                          If engaging the hub into the ring is diffficult, simply put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. It will contract enough so it will slide much easier... Do the same when changing rear bearings.
                          Cool. Yeah....I was thinking of doing that. I did new hubs last year so but kept the e28 rings on and disconnected the ABS. I am not a huge fan of ABS but ever since I have pulled the rings off of the old hubs, I have considered going back with the ABS.

Comment

Great point!!! The hot cold tricks for bearings makes things go together like butter... The wife used to always ask why I had car parts in the freezer!!!

Comment

Great pictures, thank you! I've read this process described many times, but had never seen pics before. The overall pics of the hub before & after the ring swap really tell the story.
                              The day ain't over yet....

Comment

Working...
                              X