Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank you uwe, just saved me some $$$

A special thank you to:
    archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

I was just looking at the ring teeth between the E28/E30. It would seem that the E28 ring teeth would provide a better granularity of measurement to the supporting hardware.

I would think that the M3 ABS would be the target recipient for the finer resolution, not the E28. Or was it a question of the larger wheels worn by the E28 requiring better sensitivity to angular velocity?
      Also, has anybody tried to adapt the M3 to use the E28 system?

I don't have any reason for asking other than simple curiousity.
      Last edited by ColinM; 06-05-2008, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinM View Post
        I was just looking at the ring teeth between the E28/E30. It would seem that the E28 ring teeth would provide a better granularity of measurement to the supporting hardware.

I would think that the M3 ABS would be the target recipient for the finer resolution, not the E28. Or was it a question of the larger wheels worn by the E28 requiring better sensitivity to angular velocity?
        Also, has anybody tried to adapt the M3 to use the E28 system?

I don't have any reason for asking other than simple curiousity.
        It doesn't work....you need the lower tooth count rings

Comment

Hi Colin

The e28 was already carving the German roads when the e30 M3 was in the design stage. There must be a reason why the BMW engineers changed the tooth count for the M3 ABS system, as otherwise, they may have just used an e28 hub. Why is lesser teeth more precise? I don't know but would be happy to hear it from the experts.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
          1989 M3 racecar
          e39 Touring

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I realize that you would need to match the teeth count to whatever the ABS computer is exectign to read.
            It would seem that more teeth would give a more precise figure to the ABS computer in it's ability to detect differences in wheel speed.
            For example, with 20 teeth you get one measurement for every 18 degrees of rotation, but with 45 teeth you a measurement every 8 degrees of rotation, etc.

Comment

Thanks Uwe. I was just trying to sus a knocking sound and put it down to the NSF bearing. I'm gonna try this as soon as I get some E28 hubs.

cheers again!

Comment

Colin,
                the wheel bearing in the pictures is the cheapest bearing GSF supplies (didn't want to buy an expensive one to try) and they have helt up quite good! As you know I am running R-compounds all the time and they bearings are still as good as new after a hard track day season. Not bad for 38 each.....

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Just ordered them today.Need to fit them asap as my wheel sounds like it's going to fly off!

My rear hubs, bent my 3 arm puller's threaded part! Stubborn hubs!!! This should be fun!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oze30 View Post
                    Just ordered them today.Need to fit them asap as my wheel sounds like it's going to fly off!

My rear hubs, bent my 3 arm puller's threaded part! Stubborn hubs!!! This should be fun!!!

I had my rears replace by the local garage. they broke a Snap on puller.....
                    (but the bill was HUGE!)

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Originally posted by UweM3 View Post
                      I had my rears replace by the local garage. they broke a Snap on puller.....
                      (but the bill was HUGE!)
                      OMG!!!

Would it be better to get a garage to do it or do it myself? I've done them before, but not on an M3 (is it any different??)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is the hub nit size?? It's Fookin Huge!!
                      Last edited by oze30; 07-16-2008, 06:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

any part numbers so we know what to order.
                        wicked write up uwe.
                        do mine this week!! perfect timing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oze30 View Post
                          OMG!!!

Would it be better to get a garage to do it or do it myself? I've done them before, but not on an M3 (is it any different??)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What is the hub nit size?? It's Fookin Huge!!
                          46mm is the nut size and your gonna need a thin walled socket. like a 12 point one or something.

A special thank you to:
                          archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

Anyone have a link to a full write-up of the bearing swap and the tools necessary? I'm looking to tackle this one myself but I hate getting half way into it and find I'm missing parts or tools.

Cheers,

Comment

yeah try this link for info to install

Guys any ideas for pulling the ABS rings out alittle once installed and on the car??

DONT PRESS THEM IN THE WHOLE WAY!!!! OR LEARN THE HARD [email protected]!

Comment

Use a gear puller to pull it back to where you need it.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                                X