E28 front wheel bearing swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Tony

I have replaced wheel bearings (and rings) trackside many times. It is not too involved. You need the big 46mm socket or SAE 1-13/16". Use a Heavy Duty breaker bar and a long jack handle. Torque on that big nut is 250ft.lbs

When you pull the bearing from the spindle, chances are that the bearing cage will separate. You can either cut it with a grinder (if you are in your warm garage), or gently chisel it out (trackside).

When you reisntall the big nut, don't forget to hammer the sleeve in the notch to lock the nut.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

Comment

Cool info! Thanks for share.

In the little OT side, the rear discs are interchangable with the e28 rear discs for the M3? Since many stuff came from the e28, wonder if it will bolt on. I don't have e28 rear disc here to test.
      Thanks
      Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Sweet.. Uwe as ever you are a hero. Looking to replace mine and low and behold you have the answers again.

Wonder how much they are from BMW? Or whether just to stick with GSF/Euro
        Sterling M3 project..

Comment

I have used the cheapest GSF bearing in this pictures. Was (and still is) fine for more than a year on the Ring (to my own surprise)
          The suspension legs I am running now are with the most expensive bearings C3 could get me. Was keen to have a set of SKF. You may want to check for price at CENTRAL AUTO SUPPLIES as they the sole importer for SKF in the UK. Or just ring Kirby at C3 and tell him you want the same bearing he sold to me. Can't remember the price top of my head, but they are at least double what the cheap GSF bearing are!

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Excellent, I shall call them tomorrow..

Time for a full on suspension/drivetrain refurb..

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Looking back the GSF hubs look very roughly cast.. Are the C3/SKF ones any better?
            Last edited by Jhonno; 11-26-2008, 08:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
            Sterling M3 project..

Comment

I don't get it. How come they only sell the bearing with a new hub? Why not just the bearing like on the rear axle? Seems like collectively there must be a whole pile of perfectly good hubs lying around. What am I not getting?

Comment

business decision. ..where in mi are you located.. are there any mich get togethers specifically for e30 m3s?

Comment

Novi. Never heard of any get togethers. Where are you at?

Comment

A2

Comment

Originally posted by mm1854 View Post
                      I don't get it. How come they only sell the bearing with a new hub? Why not just the bearing like on the rear axle? Seems like collectively there must be a whole pile of perfectly good hubs lying around. What am I not getting?

the hub forms the outer race of the bearing. There is no single bearing to replace, it's the whole hub you need.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

A2
                        I used to be in A2 myself until recently. When I get my car back on the road we should meet up one day.

the hub forms the outer race of the bearing. There is no single bearing to replace, it's the whole hub you need.
                        Oh yeah, looking closer at the pictures I see that now. Besides, had there been a way for you to only buy the bearing, I am sure you would have found a way, and I mean that in a good way

Comment

BMW stopped selling cars with separate hub/bearing in 1982 (a quarter of a century ago) with the e12 5 series.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                          1989 M3 racecar
                          e39 Touring

Comment

Changed my bearing yesterday with E28 M5 bearing, pretty easy job if you have the tools.

Made a short video comparing the noise before and after. Available at: http://www.bemarim3ex.com/index.php?...263&Itemid=201

Esa

Comment

i done this 2yrs ago 15000kms still going strong thanks to uwe

Comment

Uwe, do you have the P/N for the e28 hub assambly? Mine are toasted in the M3 and need econmical replacement!

Thanks
                                Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver / Euro E34 M5 '93 / Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro / Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro / Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Working...
                                X