Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 front wheel bearing swap

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    This is a front hub swap...


    [email protected]

    1969 2002 racecar
    1989 M3 racecar
    e39 Touring

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by gte175x View Post
      how come you can purchase just the rear bearing from TMS or even Pelican??? Do you really need the whole hub?

      http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-16...323325328.aspx
      Its just the way they are made.
      Rears are standard E30 parts, the bearing and the hub are sold separate.
      Fronts are sold as an assembly and are specific the the E30 M3 (or E28 M5 if you swap the ABS ring).
      jimmy p.
      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
      92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
      98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
      04 Ford F350 - V10

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
        Its just the way they are made.
        Rears are standard E30 parts, the bearing and the hub are sold separate.
        Fronts are sold as an assembly and are specific the the E30 M3 (or E28 M5 if you swap the ABS ring).
        Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
        This is a front hub swap...
        Ahhh....front vs rear....idk what I was thinking...up too late last night I guess....Thanks guys!

        Comment


        • #64
          Funny, but for all the work I've done on my car, I just realized I've never done bearings. Well - that's about to change.

          I'm switching to a new front strut / spindle as part of a coilover conversion, and my existing front bearings aren't that old - 10 to 12 track days, car is not street driven. Is it possible to re-use the existing front bearing/hub or am I going to destroy it getting it off the spindle?

          I'll replace if I have to, but would prefer to keep my spares for when the front is actually shot...

          Thanks.
          sigpic
          Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by Brendan View Post
            Is it possible to re-use the existing front bearing/hub or am I going to destroy it getting it off the spindle?
            Hey Brendan
            I have never managed to get one off without destroying it.
            On mine it always leaves the inner race on the spindle, which I have to get get with pass 2 with the puller.
            jimmy p.
            87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
            88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Street
            88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - Race (#98 SCCA SPU)
            92 E30 M Technic Cabrio - S14 POWERED!
            98 318Ti M44, Base - Morea Green
            04 Ford F350 - V10

            Comment


            • #66
              Thanks Jimmy - sounds like replacing will be in order. My guess is that even if it didn't leave the race behind, it might deform some pulling it off, and they're probably designed to be "single use".
              sigpic
              Track Car Build | COM Sports Car Club

              Comment


              • #67
                Over in this thread: http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5898 Jake mentions that an E34 front wheel bearing and ABS ring are the same as the E30M3 ones - has anyone else tried this part instead of the E28 bearing?

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by jimmy p. View Post
                  Hey Brendan
                  I have never managed to get one off without destroying it.
                  On mine it always leaves the inner race on the spindle, which I have to get get with pass 2 with the puller.

                  I have had the same experience as well. Once they are installed the inner race always sticks to the spindle.

                  I think on the sig list someone talked about rebuilding the bearings with a high temp grease from Redline. It was indicated that they could be resealed. In my own experience I either don't understand how to re-seal them or you need special tools. Also what happens if the seal is damaged? Don't think you can get replacements.

                  Originally posted by Brendan View Post
                  Thanks Jimmy - sounds like replacing will be in order. My guess is that even if it didn't leave the race behind, it might deform some pulling it off, and they're probably designed to be "single use".

                  Brendan,

                  If you do find the time to figure out how to rebuild these things please let me know. I have a bearing with about 100 miles on it that I had to pull off and it came apart. It's sitting in a box and I don't have the heart to toss it in the garbage.

                  -Kev

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    I have pulled and re-used the front bearings a number of times now.
                    As it was said, the inner race stays on the spindle, but it can be pulled carefully.
                    I always completely wash the bearings, as inevitably some dirt gets inside, when they open. Then grease with a good (moly) bearing grease, carefully re-install the seals and re-use. Not rocket-science really.

                    Thomas
                    Last edited by TR-Spider; 04-05-2011, 06:51 AM.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      Originally posted by TR-Spider View Post
                      I have pulled and re-used the front bearings a number of times now.
                      As it was said, the inner race stays on the spindle, but it can be pulled carefully.
                      I always completely wash the bearings, as inevitably some dirt gets inside, when they open. Then grease with a good (moly) bearing grease, carefully re-install the seals and re-use. Not rocket-science really.

                      Thomas
                      Do you use any special tools to press the inner an outer race together?

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Do you use any special tools to press the inner an outer race together?
                        No, actually it went together rather easy by hand, without external force. I think pressing or hammering would actually destroy them.
                        It took only a bit of fingertip fiddling. As I remember the trick was that the balls were not laying in the very end of the outer race (in that position they are moved to the inside and thus block the way). Just look at a cutaway drawing of such bearing and you can see what I mean. So the mounting probably is easiest with the inner race on the floor and the rest of the bearing from the top. And make sure all is clean without dirt.

                        Thomas
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Thanks Thomas. I just pulled the front bearings on my E30 project car in order to fit brake duct plates and they seemed to be in good shape. As usual the inner race separated. I'll give this a shot. I'm sure it will be a mess.

                          Does anyone have a favorite grease they use for this sort of thing?

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X