kind of rough idle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kind of rough idle??

Car runs great and idles ok when warm. Brought car for emissions test and when I got it back I feel it idles rougher??? Any ideas what they could have adjusted?? They claim nothing but said car failed at first try? How do you do TPS adjustment??? Thanks

Don't worry about your TPS for now. It doesn't just 'go out of adjustment'. Fail maybe, but not adjustment.

Have your base idle and CO checked/reset. If nothing else it will highlight your problem if more than just an adjustment is required. It idles rough and you failed emissions.... sounds like a mixture adjustment to me.

HTH,
    Jake Larsen

Comment

It did not fail becuase of CO. Actually CO was near perfect. I tried moving TPS and car does idle better and is smoother all around???

Comment

Also, Clean your spark plugs and check for intake leaks. It could be the tps or even fuel pressure.

Disclaimer: Remember, I know absolutely nothing, but it doesn't prevent me from having an opinion or suggestion. :

Comment

my bros E30 325 had a rough idle..i used the penzoil fuel system cleaner and i must say it made a good improvement! i used 91 octane "superclean" gas with it

Comment

Originally posted by L.I. M3
            It did not fail becuase of CO. Actually CO was near perfect. I tried moving TPS and car does idle better and is smoother all around???
            I guess I don't understand what you failed for. It just doesn't make sense going off what you said. It ran fine before, it failed for 'something', then you get it back and it has a rough idle, then you adjust your TPS and all is well again.

Maybe someone was trying to mess with you and went in and threw your TPS out of adjustment. How exactly was your TPS out of adjustment? Not making contact with the 'closed throttle' switch? If so you're idle would have just been high all the time, not cause a rough idle.

I still say rough idle is a mixture problem. How about your ICV? Rough idle problems usually come down to either mixture or a failing ICV.

Has the problem come back yet?

Take care,
            Jake Larsen

Comment

TPS switch is working intermettenly. I verified this with meter. The idle does not bounce or fluctuate to higher RPM?? Power is down a bit. Compression is near perfect. The inspection could have been coincidence or they tried making adjustment when it initially failed. I think they just didn't let car warm up and when it hit temp it passed as numbers weren't bad.

Comment

Working...
              X