3 water pumps in one year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 water pumps in one year?

Ok. Today I was coming back from a funeral and I hear my pulleys squeaking underneath the hood. I also see the "Kuhlwasser" (coolant) light go on. I pull over and damn it to hell my water pump is shit again, spitting coolant all over the place. I made it home ok but can anyone tell me what might be going on? One water pump last February, one in July and now another one this week. WTF??? And they were put in by a Master Mechanic from Germany. He knows I frequent this site and suggested that I ask you guys, cuz he is a little bewildered himself. Anyone?

Mad Mike

Were you using LASO water pumps? As far as I know anything that is not genuine BMW is LASO.

I don't know what the deal is with these LASO pumps. They look identical to BMW pumps, and cost damn near as much too. But they have a bad, horrible in fact, reputation for going south very quickly after installation.

I put one on maybe 6 months ago, before I was aware of the problems with them. I don't drive my car a lot so I had maybe 1000 miles on the pump when I was doing some work on the car. I noticed the new LASO pump was already leaking pretty badly. I threw it out and put on a BMW one.

I guess water pumps are one of those parts where you have to go OEM.

Comment

I installed one last year and it lasted 3 months, I had ordered it from BavAuto, so whatever they sell... is either junk, or I happened to get a bad one. I couldn't believe it. Then I stumbled on one on ebay for $60 or something from a Land Rover dealer in Texas or something like that (I have the receipt somewhere). He tried to sell me 3 of them so he could get them out of his warehouse. Anyway, this one shows no sign of giving out...

Ok, so not really that helpful of a post, but moral of the story is I feel your pain. I was shocked when mine went so quickly too. I'd try a different source for your pump.

Comment

If you go to www.autowerks.com they list Laso as the oem. I dont honestly know what brand I have used. I get it at cost for whatever my friend the Master Mechanic's shop gets it for. I will ask him in the morning. Thanks.

Mad Mike

Comment

Ditto here, I replaced the OEM pump shortly after I bought my car a little over 2 years ago, no big deal since it was 11 years old. The one I replaced it with only lasted about 1.5 years and replaced that one this past june. That one just went out on me 2 weeks ago, so it lasted all of 3 months!!!!:grr:

Comment

a little off topic, but how can I tell if my water pump is bad? There is squeaking sound coming from the water pump area at idle. Is this a sign of a bad water pump?

Comment

Originally posted by ///ManiHi
              a little off topic, but how can I tell if my water pump is bad? There is squeaking sound coming from the water pump area at idle. Is this a sign of a bad water pump?
              Yes, a squealing sound coming from the pulley area on the front of the water pump is one sign of it going out. Another, more obvious one is when coolant begins leaking out the front, meaning the seals are shot.

Comment

As others have stated, the OE pumps seem to live longest. I replaced my original pump just because about 3 years ago. The BMW pump seems to be trouble free so far. I also converted to Texaco havoline orange lifetime coolant which helps heat dissipation.

Also, make sure your squeak is not coming from the nearby alternator. The alt. bushes are notorious for going soft and allowing the alt. to cock slightly.

Stan

Comment

My car is on it's second pump, we replaced the Original one during my engine rebuild, pay the money and get it from BMW!

The other main cause of failure is over tight belts, wrong coolant (it lubes the pump) and of course the bad laso pump.

Do not click
                  At least it's German

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. The source where my friend's garage orders parts from isnt an oem distributor. We are going with oem this time. This sucks. Putting the new one in tomorrow. And what the hell, I am going to get the Texaco Havoline Coolant Stan mentioned too. Can't hurt.

Mad Mike
                    Last edited by Mad Mike; 09-16-2003, 04:49 PM.

Comment

I had a frickin Laso in my car and it only lasted about 1 year. I got it from Bimmerworld, and when I ordered an OEM one, I told them to stop stocking the Laso pumps.

Comment

Fuck Laso.

Mad Mike

Comment

If you're gonna run the Texaco orange stuff...make sure you follow their conversion instructions to the letter. The stuff lasts forever and leads to a much thinner anticorrosion coating. This encourages improved heat removal as the protective layer acts like insulation so thinner is better. It's also better for water pumps in the long run as there are fewer abrasives in the recipe. They use a "carboxalate" (sp) approach which is a rethink of what coolant is supposed to do. Weather permitting, run the highest water percentage you can.

Stan

Comment

Working...
                          X