Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on GRP. N SUSPENSION

what do you guys think about it?

I think its a serious track setup. plus they're factory parts (bmw part numbers for the struts and shocks) so if your going to stick to the serious DTM theme and want coilovers, then they're a must have

I have mine up for sale

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

yeah i have the setup, im just thinking what you guys think, because my brother put them in and i get the car in 3 weeks ( hes buying a 911 turbo 996)...

and im 16 haha and i dont think i need them..

so im wondering if i should get rid of em

Comment

what are your spring rates and what is the car being used for?

for street driving coilovers can be very harsh (depending on spring rate and valving) plus when they are stiff they tend not to give much warning when they give way, if you over drive them. standard spring setup has much more warning before you lose control.

your 16 and your going to be learning on a car like this? how about I trade you a nice toyota camry with 6 airbags and an auto tranny for the next few years seriously though. car might not feel expensive or too powerful if your used to being around people with expensive cars, but a classic car like this is not something to learn on. Why? because you will hate yourself when something happens to a piece of history like this, when you could have avoided it.

I would consider getting softer springs and having the shocks revalved if it will stay a street car. springs are cheap.
        ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook Fan Page - Twitter

Comment

haha yeah,

my second car will be a sti or a e46.

but i get this car because my bro wont have time for it wit hthe 996 tt.

so i will prob change the springs out.

Comment

it will be very harsh to say the least. If you look in the Grp N list
            the softest rear is 1080lbs and front starts with 680lbs and can go up to doubled that. The 200/200N shocks will not allow a lot of suspension movement as well.

My guess is that you will hate the car every minute when driven on road. It will not grip or handle well in daily driving. These kind of suspension setups are designed to go FAST. If you try to use them out of the designed purpose you will not be happy.

The M3 is stock setup is a good car to learn. Maybe not as plug'n'play as E46 but still very driver friendly as long as you listen to the feedback the car is giving you. If you don't, you may learn it the hard way.

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

I have the "soft" setup on my race/track car. I would not recommend it for the street unless you have super smooth roads.

Not only will it be extremely harsh but your braking ability will be compromised on bumpy surfaces.
              1990 M3 SE - 44K miles - in storage :sosad:
              1989 M3 US - 97K miles - Dormant :sosad:
              1990 M3 Shell - O miles - new [peace]
              sigpic

Comment

I am happy to trade you H&R Race & Bilstein Sport :-) J/K
                BTW, Are those E39 Style 5 rims?
                Last edited by d2a4; 12-01-2006, 04:59 AM.
                Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                Born date 01/88
                Ryan

Comment

yeah e39's.

they are getting painted in the center.

and our roads arent to bumpy where i live in oregon.

it sure is a rough ride.

hah.

Comment

If those shocks are for sale at some point, do not hesitate to offer them to the forum members via the classifieds. I am sure you can get around $1500 with camber plates.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                    1989 M3 racecar
                    e39 Touring

Comment

I have the same kit on my car, but I had the dampers revalved 180/200 at the rear and still have the 200/200 at the front. We had traction problems(thanks to the VAC 2.5 engine). We run 750 front and 800 rear(now ride height adjustable ala ground control). This set up is by far the most trouble free setup you can get for the track. It is way too stiff for the street. We also have the front 22mm Suspension Technique sway bar, and the rear stock sway bar, again this because of traction problems.
                      Drevaen

Comment

Yesterday I have removed CM128's Grp N suspension for a rebuild in San Diego's Bilstein facility. Especially that one of the shock stem is bent and both fronts are very slighty leaking. Springs are 100-120Nm front and 100-180Nm rear or about 800# and 1200# respectively with the rear springs in stock location. I was thinking changing rebound for a slower rebound as our tracks are pretty smooth (we don't race crappy St-Eustache or Sanair). Nonetheless we are also investigating for changing camberplates. We currently run GC but one needs to be changed anyway.

On another subject, fiberglass doors, fr and rr bumpers, splitters, rear spoilers will be installed over the winter. We need to shave another 100lbs.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                        1989 M3 racecar
                        e39 Touring

Comment

yeah.
                          imma keep em on till i get back from military school.
                          im pretty sure im getting another e30 for my 17th bday/grad present.
                          so i will have my brothers then oneof my own.
                          i want to put a 2.5 in my new one right away when i buy it czu i will have the silver one to drive until its done.

im very bummed thta i got accepted to the school..but very excited as you can tell.

Comment

While I can't speak for the E30 GrpN setup, I did run the similarly designed GrpN setup on one of my E36m3s.

Aside from the very (very) harsh ride on the street, daily driving them will put accelerated wear on the dampners requiring premature rebuilds. Also the camber plates aren't the strongest of parts. They are aluminum and will deform if you hit a big enough pothole/berming/etc.

Just something to keep in mind. Unless the car is going to see the track a lot, you'll be better off selling them for a nice profit and buying a cheaper set of more sedate coilovers/shocks+springs.

1988 Silver E30 ///M3 - Sold
                            1995 Yellow E46 ///M3 - Ex-GrandAm Cup Racecar
                            1995 Silver E36 ///M3 - Crapwagon
                            1995 Black E36 ///M3 - Crappier Crapwagon (Turbo)
                            1995 Purple E36 ///M3 - Crappiest Crapwagon (Euro S50 powered)
                            1969 BMW 2002/1602
                            1986 BMW 325 turbo

Comment

Originally posted by fritzintn
                              While I can't speak for the E30 GrpN setup, I did run the similarly designed GrpN setup on one of my E36m3s.

Aside from the very (very) harsh ride on the street, daily driving them will put accelerated wear on the dampners requiring premature rebuilds. Also the camber plates aren't the strongest of parts. They are aluminum and will deform if you hit a big enough pothole/berming/etc.

Just something to keep in mind. Unless the car is going to see the track a lot, you'll be better off selling them for a nice profit and buying a cheaper set of more sedate coilovers/shocks+springs.
                              you are the third one telling him. He won't listen. :sosad:

Goodbye M3, you served me well.

Comment

Working...
                              X