Ash's Suspension Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash's Suspension Thread

I figure it is about time I sorted my 'Mystery Suspension' now that I am slowly taking care of more pressing projects.

First things first, I thought I'd evaluate what my current set up consists of (from previous owners).

I had a quick look under the car and found Adustable Koni SP1's on the rear:

And this mystey rear spring - I couldn't find a part number on it:

Any guesses? Is this a stock spring?

I have not had a chance to take off the front struts to check the front set up but I'll guess I'll have Konis on the front too. I definitely have an aftermarket spring on the front:

These springs also came with the car for the front if I wanted to increase the ride height:

Bavarian Autosport
    F 280 016 F
    I have no idea what these are either. Any ideas?

With this setup my car looks like a 1/4 mile drag car :sosad:

Low in the front, high in the rear.

I was hoping to tuck the rear wheel into the arch (fenders have already been fully rolled) but I think my rims wont allow it.

I have e31 style 5's. 8" on the front with a 10mm offset and 9" on the rear with 19mm offset. Just from looking at it, the rear looks like it sticks out too far to sit inside the wheel arch. I do have Goodyear F1 245/40's on with rim guards - so I can change those to 235 or 225's but that still may not be enough.

Am I shit out of luck with these wheels if I want to tuck?

Does anyone on this board know of a well set up lowered car with e31 style 5's?

I'm really not looking to go full GC etc set up. I'm on a budget and hoping to use the existing shocks. I am aiming to tuck the rear without compromising handling, the front is near perfect IMO, but could be raised very slightly.

Thanks for your input
    Ash

Sold...

the rear tire looks much taller than the front.

Comment

Yeah, those rear tires look way too big. If you want a nice drop and decent ride on the street, check out the H&R sport springs for an 84 318i. Turner sells them for about $200. I put these on my car and I like them a lot. The H&R E30 M3 sport springs just did not lower the car enough in the front for my taste. The rear is tucked a little too. They should be fine with your Koni shocks. I run them with Bilstein sports.

Comment

those look like stock rear springs

Comment

Originally posted by sacM3
          Yeah, those rear tires look way too big. If you want a nice drop and decent ride on the street, check out the H&R sport springs for an 84 318i. Turner sells them for about $200. I put these on my car and I like them a lot. The H&R E30 M3 sport springs just did not lower the car enough in the front for my taste. The rear is tucked a little too. They should be fine with your Koni shocks. I run them with Bilstein sports.
          Not to thread jack, but sacM3 do you have any pictures? I've thought the same about the E30 M3 H&R sports so if i could get a better drop for that cheap, would be awesome!

Ash- i thought you told me you were changing out those rear tires a while back? Do you think maybe the rear tire size is throwing off your perception of how much you can tuck under the rear arches? I'm *pretty* sure there are other members here running the 17x8/9 style 5's without issue.
          1990 M3/1998 M3 Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by aaronmjr
            Not to thread jack, but sacM3 do you have any pictures? I've thought the same about the E30 M3 H&R sports so if i could get a better drop for that cheap, would be awesome!
            I'm also keen to see these sacM3

Ash- i thought you told me you were changing out those rear tires a while back? Do you think maybe the rear tire size is throwing off your perception of how much you can tuck under the rear arches? I'm *pretty* sure there are other members here running the 17x8/9 style 5's without issue.

Aaron - correct, I think they are definitely the wrong size. If I change the rear tires without changing the suspension I'll have 4x4 fender gap - it will reduce the rake of the car, but wont look great. Plus I still ahve a lot tread left that I need to remove somehow... :p

I think you could also be right about the rear tires throwing off my perception - especially as they have a large sidewall AND a rim guard.

I'm just hoping to make sure before ordering a set of springs

I'm checking out a set of springs tomorrow with adjustable billets - I'll come back with photos, but they are similar to
            these

My style 5's are e31, not e34/39. My offsets are F 10 and R 19 - I'm not sure how much difference this makes... any one else here run these rims?

Thanks for your input

Ash
            Last edited by Ash; 12-14-2006, 02:22 PM.

Sold...

Comment

A drop like this would be nice:

Or Jerry's

Ash

Sold...

Comment

I run Bilsteins on my EVO II and i think its pretty much the perfect height. Just a bit annoying if you have alot of speedbump in your area.

I'll Try and find part numbers over the weekend.

Claudio

Comment

Claudio,

Your car height is perfect. When you post the shocks numbers can you also please include what springs you are using to achieve the stance of your car.
                  Petro

Comment

Originally posted by petro
                    Claudio,

Your car height is perfect. When you post the shocks numbers can you also please include what springs you are using to achieve the stance of your car.
                    Sure thing,

a better pic of the profile of the car. wheels are Simmon OM II 17x8 with 245/35 17 tyres. Which i sold but re ordering next month getting 17x9 rears, and 17x7.5 fronts

Comment

they are stock E30 springs. I am not sure wether they're E30 M3 springs but you can find out by removing them and look for a stamped part number at the first or last winding. if the 5th and 6th digit read 2, then you have an E30 M3 spring. All other numbers (11 probably) indicate stock E30 rear springs.

Comment

I'm running H&R 6 pot springs, and bilstein sports, and E31 type 5's with 215/40 17 front and 245/35 17 rears, no problems rubbing, and my arches haven't been touched.

Comment

I'm running H&R 6 pot springs
                          Simone,

What is a 6 pot spring and do we have an equilivalent here in the US? I like your ride height also.
                          Petro

Comment

Simone,

What is a 6 pot spring and do we have an equilivalent here in the US? I like your ride height also.
                            Sorry, should have made it more clear, 6 cylinder springs, for a 325i.

Comment

Simone,

Sorry, should have made it more clear, 6 cylinder springs, for a 325i.

Comment

Working...
                              X