Dash removal for heater core

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash removal for heater core

Yes I did a search all I've found out was that its supposed to be easy repair.

I'm sure I have a leaking heater core. I can smell coolant and my windows got some kinda haze on em.

I was wondering if the whole dash has to be pulled to get this done?

2nd post in this thread have the step by step process for replacing/removing the heater core.

Best of luck!

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...eater+AND+Core

I should also add...

REPLACE THE O-RINGS on the heater core -> heater pipe connection. If you don't, there is a very good chance you will end up with your feet soaked in hot coolant once the engine gets up to temp/pressure.
    Last edited by UNHCLL; 12-21-2006, 05:13 AM.
    Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

You don't touch the dash just the center console. Take the old one out and determine which type of core and valve you have first. Then order replacements with new O rings. It's kind of a bitch to get to the 8mm bolts so it helps if you have the tools and aren't too big.

88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/M TECH
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/SCHWARZ
      85 323I S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZ
      91 M TECHNIC TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL
        2nd post in this thread have the step by step process for replacing/removing the heater core.

Best of luck!

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread...eater+AND+Core

I should also add...

REPLACE THE O-RINGS on the heater core -> heater pipe connection. If you don't, there is a very good chance you will end up with your feet soaked in hot coolant once the engine gets up to temp/pressure.
        Thanks!

When mine went bad:

-Excessive fogging of the front windshield, coupled with a more "dirty fog" covering of the inside window glass. Also had a coolant smell when the heat was turned on and fan was blowing.

- Small puddle of coolant under the car (below transmission) when the car was running with the heat on

-Slow but steady consumption of coolant. (Very slow... maybe half the bottle in 2-3 weeks of daily driving)

Replacement:

Drain radiator
        Disconnect hoses in engine bay that pass through firewall
        Cover drivers floor/tranny tunnel with plastic and keep a bunch of towels handy
        Remove center console
        Remove D.Side floor vent tube
        Undo 3 or 4 screws on heater core
        Remove/Loosen 2 tubes that come down through firewall
        Slide out old HC - be ready to absorb spilled coolant
        Slide replacement in
        reverse procedure
        add coolant... bleed system with Heat turned ON and engine running.

All done.
        It took me less than 2 hours maximum.

HTH,
        Chris

Comment

If you want to remove the dash anyway and have questions, let me know.
          www.ubertechnik.com

Comment

Removing the dash isn't that bad! Getting back in doesn't look fun! Just did min last night
            Project M3 - Part Sell Off

Comment

Yeah don't lose the bolts!! Replaced mine and lost them. Went to order and had to wait like 4 days. Apparently there were only 33 of them in the country.

Comment

Working...
              X