Can you measure something for me quick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you measure something for me quick

hi guys as some of you might remember, i bought a FG evoIII wing with no studs. i finally came back to America for 2 weeks now and found helicoil and bought myself a set for 13mm. however im starting to think it wasnt a 13mm stud/nut that holds the factory wing on the M3 trunk. can some one please just fit a socket to the inside of the trunk were the nuts hold the wing on and tell me if its a 12mm or a 13mm? because the kit i got came with the helicoil, the studs, nuts and washers and all of it is 1/2 / 13mm. Hope im making sence. the only problem is that my car is back in germany so I cant measure it myslef. thanks in advance guys. :thank you

A special thank you to:
    archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Hey..Yan. where did you get your spoiler? sorry I'm @ work, can't measure it for yah.
    ps. how's the quality? I'm looking for one.
    thankx, Ogi
    :burn:RED DRAGON

Comment

ebay.de I bought mine form a guy who said it came off a race car and was in 4/10 condition but i work with body shop guys so they hooked me up and the wing now looks like its a brand new factory wing.

A special thank you to:
      archie, chutrain, carfantiti, ///M3 Terr, Jake, G2NY, Justin(OKC), Andyman746, dllance, NameIsStanley, JP, Speedvill, blyguy, MTLALEX, ///M0F01SD, Tom64, GK-E30M3, L James, ///CRISS, Das Boots, e30polak, DrWillb, Cactusjacks1, E30terry, S14E30M3 and all the S14 members who have showed support and contacted me.

Comment

the studs have 8mm threads, so 13mm hex nuts. You'll hardly find any 12mm nuts/bolts on a german car, although you're right this could have been one of the places where you'd come across them.

Regarding your sig: the E30 M3 wasnt handmade, it was built on the same assembly lines the standard E30 was built.
        It was the E34 M5 that was handmade at the BMW M facilities in Garching near Munich

Comment

ok.wow thanks. however wasnt the M3s s14 hand assembled??? and so all e34 M5s were hand put together???

I guess my sig thing has to come off ay?

back to the topic at hand, so what your saying is that a 13mm stud will go throught the factory trunk holes?

A special thank you to:

Comment

You could always go to realoem and look up the screws
            David
            Redwood City, CA

Comment

i am such a dummy. oh my! thanks man

A special thank you to:

Comment

wait a min so M8 does that mean its a 8mm no way right? i remember taking my stock wing off and i think it was a 13mm. cmon someone whos car is in their garage, it will just take 3 min.

A special thank you to:

Comment

8mm is the diameter of the threaded sectin of the bolt, stud. 12mm or 13mm is the size of the hex - size of the wrench used to tighten the bolt or nut

Comment

oh no, so the hole in the trunk lid is a 8mm as well then. so my 13mm diameter of the threaded sectin will not work. poopie. what do i do now

A special thank you to:

Comment

What's in the (mounting area) of the spoiler now? hole or threaded hole

Comment

no no no, i guess the what i need is the size of the hole that the trunk has, if they are big enough to have 13mm or 1/2" bolts/studs go through them.

A special thank you to:

Comment

Confirm: the nut is 13mm.
                          Because anything worth doing is worth doing fanatically!
                          Born date 01/88
                          Ryan

Comment

The hole on the trunk lid is probably about 10 mm. You can take a drill and make it 13mm, but there is no room underneath for a nut for that size stud. If you got the spoiler from a race car, it's probable that that trunk lid didn't have any of the inside support webbing, hence the need (and space) for larger mounting studs. One option you have is to take your 13mm stud and machine the area that sticks out from the spoiler down to 8mm, then use a die and cut 8x1.25mm threads on it. Then it can mount just llike stock. Assuming your mounting holes are in the stock location.

???

jimmyC

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyC View Post
                              The hole on the trunk lid is probably about 10 mm. You can take a drill and make it 13mm, but there is no room underneath for a nut for that size stud. If you got the spoiler from a race car, it's probable that that trunk lid didn't have any of the inside support webbing, hence the need (and space) for larger mounting studs. One option you have is to take your 13mm stud and machine the area that sticks out from the spoiler down to 8mm, then use a die and cut 8x1.25mm threads on it. Then it can mount just llike stock. Assuming your mounting holes are in the stock location.

???

jimmyC
                              yea im either going to have to do that or find ones that are 8mm. here in the US, at PepBoys they sell the kits of helicoil so i guess ill just take the 13mm kit back and get the smaller 8mm or 10mm. to be on the safe side, i should just get 8mm huh?

A special thank you to:

Comment

Working...
                              X