M2 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M2 Project

I just wanted to share a couple pics of my M2 project. The car is a 1970 2002 with an S-14 from a '89 M3. The car has upgrade brakes and suspension with a CR 5 spd (dogleg tranny) and 390 LSD. I can hardly wait to get her on the road/track. I hope it's not going to make my M3 jealous.

Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado
    1991 E30M3 (sold)
    1970 2002 (M2)
    2002 E46M3 (LSB)
    2002 E46 325xi
    1991 E30 325ix
    1966 Mustang

Looks like nice work, Phil... bigger pics? If up to the standards of the Isetta, then I can imagine the level of detail. C'mon, bigger pics!

- Daniel

Comment

Hey Danial,

Go to the gallery section. For some reason the pic's will show up larger.
      1991 E30M3 (sold)
      1970 2002 (M2)
      2002 E46M3 (LSB)
      2002 E46 325xi
      1991 E30 325ix
      1966 Mustang

Comment

Chris L.

Spray paint and tire shine doesn't equate to a "restoration!"

Comment

wow that looks beautiful! that is definitely one of my dream projects

Comment

is a hard project to do as in engine mounts and firewall clearence?

Comment

is a hard project to do as in engine mounts and firewall clearence?
              Actually, the S14 block and the M10 are very similar. The s14 block has provisions for the 2002 motor mounts. So basically they just bolt on. The clearance issues are the S14 header, radiator, power brake booster and oil filter. The header has to be dented about a 1/4 inch or so to clear the idler arm and the S14 radiator fan has to be eliminated and an electric fan placed in front of the radiator. I also trimmed about a 1/4-inch off the water pump shaft. On the brake booster it’s just a matter of unbolting and remounting it 180 degrees from normal. The brake booster is normally off set and rotating 180 degree gives you a little more clearance for the plenum. The oil filter issue is that there may not be enough room to unscrew the filter all the way out from the oil filter housing. The filter may hit the 2002 steering box. To solve this problem, some folks just use a shorter oil filter, but I chose to install a remote oil filter and mounted it where I had more room.
              1991 E30M3 (sold)
              1970 2002 (M2)
              2002 E46M3 (LSB)
              2002 E46 325xi
              1991 E30 325ix
              1966 Mustang

Comment

Phil, your car weights perhaps around 2200lbs. That is a terrritory that very few M3s will get to. You will end up with a very nice power-to-weight ratio. I am also installing an S14 in my own 1969 2002.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

Looking great.

Comment

Isn't there a problem with the oil pan? My mechanic is doing this project for a customer and he said the oil pan interferes with something (subframe) then the new oil pan interferes with the sway bar
                    "It is needless to say that self-propelling vehicles, like other machines, will never do as much for one who does not understand them as for one who does."

Comment

You can swap the oil pick up on the s14 for the one of the M10 and the M10oil pan bolts straight up. Though most people, myself included, have the M10 oil pan baffled.

Comment

You can swap the oil pick up on the s14 for the one of the M10 and the M10oil pan bolts straight up. Though most people, myself included, have the M10 oil pan baffled.
                        Sneaky is correct, but I would also like to add, you'll have to modify the oil pan by adding a fitting for the oil separator return.
                        1991 E30M3 (sold)
                        1970 2002 (M2)
                        2002 E46M3 (LSB)
                        2002 E46 325xi
                        1991 E30 325ix
                        1966 Mustang

Comment

Id suggest VAC's new hybrid big oil pan. Worth every penny imo.

Comment

Yikes, the S14 looks like a jewel sitting in that pristine engine bay. It makes me want to drive my own beater into some water barrels on the highway. Haha.

Comment

Does the S14 install change any weight distribution? Otherwise, I would think the S14 would be the perfect 02 motor. My wife's 74 has twin sidedrafts, cam, headers... and , it's lively, but not fast. I would think a lightly modded S14 would make it downright fast.

Gordon
                              1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
                              1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 20b Black
                              1990 Corvette ZR1
                              1987 Ferrari Testarossa
                              2007 Maserati QuattroporteAccount

Comment

Working...
                              X