M2 Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight change

An s14 weighs a little more than the m10 it's replacing, but this is more than compensated by putting the battery in the boot. So yes, it's the perfect engine swap balance wise. Take off the heavy old chrome bumpers and buy a carbon fibre or fibre glass bonnet and you're laughing.

Check out 70 other 2002's with this swap:

http://www.m2bmw.com/
    Last edited by nickvyse; 02-25-2007, 08:17 PM.
    Nick Vyse
    M2 Touring
    (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

That's pretty interesting. I have the original running, 47,000 mile S14 with US tranny from my current car available after my new S14 is finished next month (and my dogleg CR bix goes in). I could buy an 02 roller and stick in the S14 and tranny. What do I do for a rear?

Gordon
      1991 BMW M3 Alpinweiss
      1993 Mazda Rx7 R1 20b Black
      1990 Corvette ZR1
      1987 Ferrari Testarossa
      2007 Maserati QuattroporteAccount

Comment

Rear would be 3.9 LSD from a late e21.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
        1989 M3 racecar
        e39 Touring

Comment

That's pretty interesting. I have the original running, 47,000 mile S14 with US tranny from my current car available after my new S14 is finished next month (and my dogleg CR bix goes in). I could buy an 02 roller and stick in the S14 and tranny. What do I do for a rear?
          Most folks use a 5 speed OD tranny from a 320i. A few have used the E30M3 tranny but there is a lot of fab work. I'm not sure what all is required, but the tunnel has to be cut out and enlarged, there is no mechanical drive for the speedo cable and you will have to shorten the drive line. With the 320i tranny all that is required is pounding out the tunnel near the clutch master cylinder and shorten the drive line.
          Phil/Bomb Guy in Colorado
          1991 E30M3 (sold)
          1970 2002 (M2)
          2002 E46M3 (LSB)
          2002 E46 325xi
          1991 E30 325ix
          1966 Mustang

Comment

Lies. Yes the tunnel has to be cut. 265 tranny is too tall. Not really that big a deal. Its easy to adapt the 265 for the speedo cable. You do not have to shorten the driveline. A e30M3 driveshaft bolts right up to whatever diff youre using. With the 320i tranny, you have to weld the e30 sensors into the bellhousing.

Comment

Lies.
              Pretty harsh word!
              1991 E30M3 (sold)
              1970 2002 (M2)
              2002 E46M3 (LSB)
              2002 E46 325xi
              1991 E30 325ix
              1966 Mustang

Comment

From past experience, the 5 speed e21 tranny (at least the close ration that I have) was a tight fit in the tranny tunnel. As Uxoman mentionned, I also had to hammer a bit of the tunnel near the slave cylinder as it mounts in the opposite direction of the original 2002 MC. I had an M3 tranny and did not even bothered trying th install. Side by side, it was obvious the M3 tranny was bigger. Those who install the M3 tranny have to literally cut the top of the tranny tunnel as the picture shows.

http://www.m2bmw.com/silverWork.htm

In my case, for the S14 install, I will use an e21 OD tranny and graft the sensor portion from a donor M3 bellhousing.

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                1989 M3 racecar
                e39 Touring

Comment

Originally posted by uxoman View Post
                  Pretty harsh word!
                  Well I feel it applies when people spread misinformation on forums. Plus it pissed me off that you conveniently forgot to leave out the part of grafting in the sensors.

Comment

That hole seems a little excessive.

I was going to post a pic of the hole on my car, but I seem to be having some technical issues.

The whole in my tunnel is probably the same length, but only goes down the side of tunnel maybe an inch or so.

Comment

Well I feel it applies when people spread misinformation on forums. Plus it pissed me off that you conveniently forgot to leave out the part of grafting in the sensors.
                      Sorry I pissed you off, but I didn't "conveniently" leave off the part about the sensors. I just forgot to mention it. I apologies to all. I am not an expert at M2 builds. If you noticed I stated "I'm not sure what all is required" with regards to the M3 tranny. I do stick by my words that most folk use the 320 tranny and even Dave @ Aardvarc Racing (whom has done many S14 swaps) recommends it. Now go be pissed off!
                      1991 E30M3 (sold)
                      1970 2002 (M2)
                      2002 E46M3 (LSB)
                      2002 E46 325xi
                      1991 E30 325ix
                      1966 Mustang

Comment

bellhousing sensor/ exhaust

Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
                        In my case, for the S14 install, I will use an e21 OD tranny and graft the sensor portion from a donor M3 bellhousing.

Lee, would it not be possible to trigger from the crank somehow? I was talking with dave redzsus and he mentioned it as a good possibility while still using the stock system on the 2002.

Are you planning on running the stock ecu/ afm etc?

I'm torn between megasquirt and sending the kugel out to have it tuned for the 2.3

Lee and Phil- what are your exhaust plans?

Comment

Phil,

Amazing car, it looks to be perfect! I will have to come down sometime and get a ride :wee:

P.S. Madjurgen is clearly as his name states, mad.

-Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by uxoman View Post
                            I do stick by my words that most folk use the 320 tranny and even Dave @ Aardvarc Racing (whom has done many S14 swaps) recommends it. Now go be pissed off!
                            The reason most m2's use the e21 tranny is that they're in the US, so there's no real benefit of using the US spec over drive box from the M3. Most m2's in Europe cut the transmission tunnel and use the close ratio 265 getrag from the m3. The european e21 323i which is the best source of an LSD is also a great match for this CR box, where as it would appear most e21 LSD's in the States have a 3.9:1 ratio which is better suited to the OD box.

So there you go!

BTW - here's the link to converting the Euro 265 CR box to a mechanical speedo drive:

http://hem.passagen.se/m2002tii/tech...anny/index.htm
                            Nick Vyse
                            M2 Touring
                            (s14 powered 2002)

Comment

Whats the ratio on the 323 dif Nick? Is that what your running? I hae a 4.10 and the 320is overdrive. Hoping it will be good for rallye use.

Pete
                              Last edited by peteinjapan; 02-27-2007, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peteinjapan View Post
                                Lee, would it not be possible to trigger from the crank somehow? I was talking with dave redzsus and he mentioned it as a good possibility while still using the stock system on the 2002.

Are you planning on running the stock ecu/ afm etc?

I'm torn between megasquirt and sending the kugel out to have it tuned for the 2.3

Lee and Phil- what are your exhaust plans?
                                Hi Pete

It's indeed possible to trigger an aftermarket engine management from a trigger wheel located on the front damper. But is it possible to trigger the stock DME this way? Perhaps, but haven't searched or tried anything. If it works on the e30 325, it may work on S14, but am only talking thru my hat. Out of the tree flywheel sensors, one is the speeds sensor (required), reference sensor (required too), diagnostic sensor (not required).

In my transplant, I will run the stock ECU/DME in the beginning, with Millerperformace's MAF conversion.

If I were you, I would go with Megasquirt (not Kugelfisher). Much easier to tune. I am not sure that there is a module for the progressive idle valve though.

Lee

[email protected]

1969 2002 racecar
                                1989 M3 racecar
                                e39 Touring

Comment

Working...
                                X