Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paddy
    replied
    cheers forthat. i ws going to repair the is but i have another one so would like some thing different so the light weight 02 would be ideal. i will log onto the site and register thanks

Leave a comment:

• nickvyse
    replied
    Originally posted by paddy View Post
    i have a 320is crashed and was thinking about doing this if i find a sheel. will the diff from a e30 fit the 2002? or do i need to try find a 323 or 320 early car for it?
    No it won't, for a bolt in solution you'll need an original LSD or one from an e21, which is slightly narrower but can easily be got round with either spacers or a combination of 02 and e21 half shafts. With this the m3 prop is the right length with the m3 box, but you'll have to cut out the tunnel to make the box fit (taller and slightly wider).

There's a guy in the UK that has made a jig to weld up the mounts on an e30 subframe so you can fit the whole kit and caboodle. Stronger, but heavier. Lots of info on: http://www.2002faq.com

And join the UK jiglu list if you haven't already.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• atan888
    replied
    Love to own one in the future

Leave a comment:

• paddy
    replied
    i have a 320is crashed and was thinking about doing this if i find a sheel. will the diff from a e30 fit the 2002? or do i need to try find a 323 or 320 early car for it?

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    Two words of advice in regard of the waterpump: "Original BMW". It will be more expensive than a Lasso, but history has shown that Lasso pumps are very short lived.

Lee

Leave a comment:

• steve
    replied
    where are you located. I nedd help with susp and brakes, the swap is done but the shop that did its mechanic is no longer around and the water pump is shot and we have no info on if this was mod.I live in Ct. could I contact you, I would app. any help. thanks

Leave a comment:

• tmoretta
    replied
    Car looks beautiful! I also have an S14 in my "72 2002. Can you tell me what is the crankcase oil fill spec. with the 2002 oil pan? If I fill to the mark on the "02 dipstick, the engine is way overfilled (oil pours out of the valve cover vent)

Leave a comment:

• uxoman
    replied
    Phil,

I bought a 1973 2002 shell and want to size up this project in terms of time and cost. If you have a minute, could you email me at [email protected]?

Thanks,

Gordon
    Email sent.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• gmonsen
    replied
    Phil,

I bought a 1973 2002 shell and want to size up this project in terms of time and cost. If you have a minute, could you email me at [email protected]?

Thanks,

Gordon

Leave a comment:

• uxoman
    replied
    Nick

Thanks for the info on the diff. I double-checked the size of my exhaust system and it is 2.5" diameter. I'll be sending you some pics for your site in the near future. Thanks again.

Leave a comment:

• nickvyse
    replied
    Originally posted by uxoman View Post
    Nick,
    Thanks for the good info and for clearing up the gear box issue. I was very lucky and found a euro 320 getrag 245/10 close ratio gear box for my M2. As for the diff, I will be running a 3.9:1 LSD that I already had installed in the car. I know thats a pretty low ratio, but I figured I ran that diff with the standard 4 spd box for a few years without too much problems. I believe both boxes have a finial gear of 1:1. My car will be mostly used as a weekend fun car and auto-x'er. If my diff turns out to be too low of a ratio, what diff would you recommend?
    Hi Phil,

Good score on that gearbox - they're smaller and lighter than the 265 and
    said to be able to handle the s14 power and torque just fine. It's what
    Coop's running with 250+bhp. And you're right - 1:1 top, same as the 4
    speed.

You should have a ball with the back end as long as you don't do any long
    motorway driving. Great for the track.

If you find it too low then look out for a 3.45:1 - standard fit on Euro
    spec 323i's.

If you've not had your exhaust made yet consider a 2.5 inch pipe - I started
    with 2.25 and now have 2.5 - flows noticably more and is the accepted norm
    for a single bore s14 system.

Good luck and don't forget to send pics for the site.

Nick

Leave a comment:

• uxoman
    replied
    Nick,
    Thanks for the good info and for clearing up the gear box issue. I was very lucky and found a euro 320 getrag 245/10 close ratio gear box for my M2. As for the diff, I will be running a 3.9:1 LSD that I already had installed in the car. I know thats a pretty low ratio, but I figured I ran that diff with the standard 4 spd box for a few years without too much problems. I believe both boxes have a finial gear of 1:1. My car will be mostly used as a weekend fun car and auto-x'er. If my diff turns out to be too low of a ratio, what diff would you recommend?

peteinjapan
    Lee and Phil- what are your exhaust plans?
    I purchased a "Y" pipe from Dave @ Aardvarc Racing to connect the S14 header to a single pipe. My resinator and muffler are made by Sebrig and the pipe will be custom fabricated from 2 1/4" SS.

LEGAL DISCLAINER: All information I am providing is "as is", with no guarantee of completeness, accuracy, timeliness or of the results obtained from the use of this information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to warranties of performance, reliability and/or figment for any particular purpose. Thank You!

Leave a comment:

• nickvyse
    replied
    Originally posted by LeeVuong View Post
    Hey Nick

The small 6 cylinder tranny is very tempting as it is more available in CR version than the 4 cylinder one. But are you sure the bolt pattern of that tranny fits the M10-S14 block? From memory, all M30-M10-S14 blocks were different in this department with the M20 block/tranny bolt pattern. If it indeed fits, then great. That's another source of CR trannies to fit M3s...
    No, that's not what I'm saying, and I think you're right - the small 6 has a different bolt pattern and don't fit. I'm using the Euro M3 CR box (265) with an e21 3.45:1 LSD.

Leave a comment:

• LeeVuong
    replied
    Hey Nick

The small 6 cylinder tranny is very tempting as it is more available in CR version than the 4 cylinder one. But are you sure the bolt pattern of that tranny fits the M10-S14 block? From memory, all M30-M10-S14 blocks were different in this department with the M20 block/tranny bolt pattern. If it indeed fits, then great. That's another source of CR trannies to fit M3s...

Leave a comment:

• nickvyse
    replied
    Originally posted by peteinjapan View Post
    Whats the ratio on the 323 dif Nick? Is that what your running? I hae a 4.10 and the 320is overdrive. Hoping it will be good for rallye use.

Pete
    e21 323i is 3.45:1.

M3's, from memory, had 3.25:1 or 3.15:1 (Evo?), and slightly bigger wheels, so in my reckoning 3.45 in the lighter M2 is a good pairing for a CR box with a direct 5th.

Ran a few hundred miles with a 3.65 open diff and the the 3.45 was definitely an improvement for a road car.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X