Another Timing Chain Tensioner Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Timing Chain Tensioner Thread

First I want to say that I did use the search function, and thought that I had become a master of it, but we'll find out. My engine does make a bit of chain rattle on startup and I've done the reading on how the S50 tensioner takes away the rattle. Upon seeing that they are $91 (pelicanparts) I am now curious as to whether or not I am actually doing damage to my motor by not getting a new tensioner or if I can let this slide for a while.
    Thanks in advance,
    Jim

i would replace it. I was in a similar situation as you and let it slide too far. One day i started it up to move it and the car had zero power, i thought the motor was toast. so me and a friend took the oil pans off to check for shavings from the rod bearings and found nothing. It turned out it was the chain tensioner. I ended up towing the car to my mecchanic and doing rod bearings, bolts, etc. because of the mileage on the car and the fact that the bottom end was already open. Save yourself the time and hassle, its easy to replace anyways. i know i havent directly answered your question about damaging the motor but hope that helps a little!

anthony
    Last edited by Ant's Bmw; 02-27-2007, 03:12 PM.
    Noobie with lots of questions.

Comment

thanks for the reply i figured i should just man up and buy one

Comment

Just installed the S50 US Tensioner and quieted down the rattle on start up allot, just hope the tensioner comes assembled. It took 2 sets of hands to seat the cir-clip. Other than that the install was gravy.

Comment

ya I saw gustave mention that on his site, fingers crossed

Comment

nice. going to order this from bmw. anyone know what this part costs roughly?

Comment

Turner has it for $146. I got mine for $90 a couple years ago. If you shop around, you can probably find one for a reasonable price.

Comment

Check bmaparts.com Call and ask for Patrick and you usually get a better price than what's on the website.

Comment

does anyone have the part number for this?
                  Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2WsYARLD1Y

Comment

You are talking about the "thing" that sits on the right front side on the engine?
                    1987 BMW M3 E30

S50B32 swap thread http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43515

Comment

The part number for the S50 Timing Chain Tensioner... :-)
                      Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

Comment

Comment

Thanks!!!!
                          Fritz

1987 Hennarot E30 M3

Comment

Hello,

I would like to know if the timing chain tensioner from the S50 has the spring or not.

I'm dissapointed. The reference of my spare part is OK, 11311405081.

Thanks

Comment

No spring.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - AUTOMERGED! There's no thread "bumping" or "double posting" within a 24hr period. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by wld_tony View Post
                              No spring.
                              Correction, Im wrong, It does have a internally loaded spring, My bad!
                              Last edited by wld_tony; 08-11-2008, 05:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              -Tony-
                              1991 M3 10Km
                              1989 M3
                              BEGINS HERE

Comment

Working...
                              X